Friday, September 01, 2023

Tidbits and a Dilemma

Friday Morning Progress Report: on Wednesday night, I experienced my once/year thing and slept for 8 hours (or close enough). Last night, Thursday, I didn't sweat very much. At least I didn't have to change my shirt. Progress . . . I hope.

Yesterday: we did what we've hardly done all summer – got coffee and chicken sandwiches from Tims and sat in the park for awhile.

Yay Us!

More Discussion about Tuesday's Blue Supermoon Evening (you may want to roll your eyes and move on from the following minutia.)

First, I have two photos from the Golden Hours before the moon rose, which I didn't share them the other day because I had a number of moon photos to lay on you poor souls. 

We got to the location about 3/4 hours before scheduled moonrise although it was closer to a full hour before we could really see it due to cloud on the horizon. I wandered about a bit and took this ↓ photo.


This ↓ is how I set up the tripod and camera for moonrise, long before the predicted time. Amazingly, the Sun Seeker app had predicted the location accurately. You will see that my moon photo, farther below, will be from the same spot.


I stood there for a long time because the moon was obscured, so it didn't rise as low or as early as expected. A long time. Waiting for the proper conditions can be a thing with landscape photography. Sometimes, photographers (but not me) will set up but then wait for hours for the right light.


Now, we need to talk about the ethics of removing objects for the sake of the product. Some of you objected to the distracting light poles yonder by the highway in the previous post. I get it, but such practice presents a bit of a dilemma.

While I have happily removed passing cars from the distant highway in all of these photos, I did not remove the poles and lights in the lunar photos as I presented them previously. While passing cars didn't belong in the photo, the lights are permanent fixtures. Is it ethical to remove them? While photographers might remove tiny distractions, such as an obtrusive leaf or twig, for example, they will be more reluctant about other objects.

But in response to your opinions, I have since removed those poles and lights (below). It is true that the edited photo does look better without the distractions, but I am still not too sure whether it is the right thing to do.

If you will look at the above photo, you can see that I was standing in front of a concrete water outlet, but I composed the photo to avoid it. That is different than removing it.

Anyway, here is the edited photo with a reminder that with he help of the app, I had actually been able to visualize the composition in that morning, long before the actual photo shoot.

It definitely looks better with the distractions removed.


21 comments:

DJan said...

It's a great shot! I am glad you are getting better, AC. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Beautiful moon shot. Liked the ones with reflections on the water. So my fav for today are number one, some smiling photographers enjoying coffee and their park, and number two. It's just right to have a vista of the river (I'm assuming this is your Mississippi.) I also did think about whether or not removing the light posts would be better...but my main concern was the missing reflections in the water. That made the moon look a bit detached from the schene to me.

Vicki Lane said...

I LOVE that first photo!

Ed said...

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to photography. The only editing I do is cropping. I have always felt that once I start removing things or superimposing things that it has simply become an art project at that point. I don't begrudge those that are into creating works of art with pictures as their medium but it just isn't my thing.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barb. The view with the reflection had the cement water intake in the way. On does what one can.

Jeanie said...

First off, gorgeous golden hour and moon. All are spectacular.

I didn't weigh in on the "removal" of things then but here's my take. Editing photos is perfectly OK because it is your photo used on your blog. It's a matter of whether you want it to be an accurate documentary reflecting that moment and place in time or an artistic piece. I'm not so sure about doing that if it is being submitted elsewhere or in competition. There are many competitions who don't want to accept significantly edited photos and it makes sense. But for the purposes you use things, I think it's OK. (On the other hand, photoshopping something that changes the context or accuracy and calling it real -- nope. I'm thinking of an example years ago when the Royal Family turned Prince William's expression into a happier look for the official photo. Not good.)

Jenny the Pirate said...

The final product is stunning. It was the right thing to do, removing those poles. Artistic choice and a valid one. BUT that first photo is everything and should be hanging on a wall. The grasses in the foreground speak to me. xoxo

gigi-hawaii said...

My favorite photo is the top first one. It is truly stunning. You should frame it and hang it up for people to admire. As for the last moon shot, it looks surreal, almost too perfect.

Red said...

At least you gat some photos. there was heavy cloud here.

MARY G said...

I'm good with a removal edit if it is reported. and I agree that the moon photo is a classic without the lights. Only, it has lost character in the edit; many clean moon photos look much the same.
Good to hear that you are feeling more yourself. Keep up the good work!

RedPat said...

Love the finished moon shot and you guys look great in that summer shot.

I have seen several Monarch Butterflies today so I agree that Pelee Island will busy now.

Granny Sue said...

I bet it felt great to go out for lunch!

roentare said...

That moon is super moody!

Margaret said...

Love the photo without the distractions yet I completely understand your rationale about the ethics. I like to believe that what I'm seeing is mostly real and not too doctored. That's great that you had a good and not-so-sweaty sleep!

Joanne Noragon said...

That picture certainly cleaned up well.

Marie Smith said...

It is a beautiful shot, cleaned up or not.

DrumMajor said...

I've not considered the "ethics" of removing objects from one's own photographs. (We presume you're talking about using photoshop or eraser method, not really digging up the light post, which would be unethical.) Thanks for trying the light pole removal. I'd buy a copy of that resultant print.
My son and his wife had beautiful wedding pics done in a local park. She was sitting on a railing of a wooden walking bridge, with her gown spread on top and draping over the railing, with the creek and lots of greenery. A park-installed trash barrel was in the photo too, and the photographer erased it.
Nope, she didn't fall off the railing. Linda in Kansas

Marcia said...

Lovely photos. No opinion on the light poles. Good to read you got 8 hours sleep.

William Kendall said...

The moon final works well.

I must have been really tired. Crashed last night at 9:30 and woke up at 11:30 this morning.

Catalyst said...

Yes, it is beautiful but that first photo is a work of art!

Jenn Jilks said...

You sure do amazing work!