Thursday, September 21, 2023

My Invisibility Syndrome

The invisible man syndrome struck again yesterday. 

I have posted from time to time that I seem to get lost in the shuffle of life. My operation in June is a recent example. You remember, don’t you, that there was no hospital bed for me? After lying on the narrow gurney for hours, constrained by a catheter and an IV drip, I chose to have the surgery and convalesce at home.

Now, having just finished a subsequent course of antibiotics for prostatitis, I called the surgeon, as previously directed, to let hm know that, after three weeks, I still seemed to have the infection. He ordered lab tests. So far so good.

That was on Tuesday, but I only heard back from urology minutes before the lab was to close, so I went in the next morning, yesterday.

But of course, they had no record of the referral.

I called the urologist. Yes, they sent it but would send it again.

I waited. It didn’t appear.

The Lab: “Sometimes, it takes awhile to work through the system.”

Me: “I have stuff to do, so I’ll call back.”

Two calls later, it hadn’t appeared. So, I called Urology once again, and suggested that might try sending the requisition to the other lab in town.

Glory be! It got there in relatively short order, and now we await results.

But I do wonder why this seems to keep happening to me. I look in the mirror and see that I am really there. I am not tiny, and I am not completely unobtrusive, and I swear that I don’t put on an invisibility cloak before I venture forth in this world. 

Sometimes, it sure seems like it though. 

22 comments:

DJan said...

I agree that you do seem to be disappearing to your doctors, anyway. Good luck with that test, I do hope they find out what's wrong and fix it.

Vicki Lane said...

How frustrating!

Barbara Rogers said...

OK, that's just weird. You are a normal enough seeming fellow to me (based on several years reading of your blog). Just weird.

Liz Hinds said...

Who said that?

Margaret said...

It seems like we need to stay on top of things these days, especially with medical issues. It's too easy to get lost in the shuffle!

Granny Sue said...

How frustrating! I sometimes wonder if older people just get shuffled to the back of the line.

Marie Smith said...

That must be frustrating beyond belief. Hang in there, AC.

RedPat said...

And you kept your temper in check. Hope it comes back fine.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It does seem like you have been having a tough time with the medical system. Hopefully, things will get sorted out.

William Kendall said...

What a headache!

DrumMajor said...

Ask them to get themselves a pill for your invisible self. Jeepers! Linda in Kansas

roentare said...

This is pretty common. The administration tasks are often carried out by low wage workers which are in severe "shortage". Doctors often pay a commission expecting "full package" service from their own contracted organisations. Yet, the service barely delivers. System failure often explains how things are justified to fail.

Debby said...

I would forego using the other lab unless there were no other options. Very frustrating.

Boud said...

Then they wonder why people get snarky! You have to be a real pita to get and keep their attention, it seems. John, no more Mr Nice Guy!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh that sounds so frustrating! Especially when you are having symptoms and not able to get ahold of the exact right person to help you. I hope you feel better soonest!

Red said...

Our health system is badly broken. Important things just happen very slowly or not at all.

Christina said...

I am sorry you have to spend so much time following up on things that should just work. Also that you are still not well.

I am afraid, what you describe seems fairly normal here... One example. My son needed a blood test but our GP surgery does not do paediatric bloods so had to be referred. With appointment slip in hand, we trekked across town only to find out that the referral had not come through and that we would need to come back another time. I said we would absolutely not do that and after a few phone calls (shifting blame from one health provider to another and back), James had his bloods taken.

Jeanie said...

I know this won't help -- but it happens to me, too. At least, it has been for the past month. We are there! Unless some phantom is writing your posts (or mine!) we are THERE! And I have to think it will change -- otherwise, I'll go nuts!

gigi-hawaii said...

Hmmm. That doesn't happen here at Straub and Pali Momi, two hospitals I deal with. Maybe, you should move to Hawaii. So much better than Canada.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I don't think it's just you. It's the world we live in. Even so, still sorry to hear about it and hope the infection resolves soon.

Catalyst said...

Unfortunately this seems to happen a lot with us "old folks". My mantra is "Have patience and then scream like hell!"

MARY G said...

Love the fall colour photos, and the hat and expression in the shot for Sue. I get the invisible bit. I have been trying to get a prescription for a week. and, having had a meeting with the dietitian at our Health centre on Thursday, I was told by my doctor on Friday to book an appointment with the same person. what is scary about all this is that the reports that are supposed to be sent are, obviously, not happening with any efficiency.