Thursday, September 07, 2023

Lunar Lunacy

You're not going to believe this, but I have another moon photo although I sure didn't intend to do another lunar shoot. 

I went to bed at 10, Monday night and fell right asleep. But I woke up just an hour later at 11 in a furnace-like heat. No sweat but felt like I might blow up. This was most distressing after two nights that didn't total 8 hours combined.

Moving from my bed to my chair didn't help, for even as the heat began to subside, my various aches and pains took the opportunity to increase my misery.

After a time, I went downstairs. If memory serves, I had a piece of toast, for I sometimes notice that eating a little something changes my mindset, or something like that.

I stepped outside, and what did I see?


Behold, I saw the almost crescent moon with Venus off to the right. Venus being the little dot toward the top right of the frame, above.

It was almost midnight, but I started hauling my camera equipment out. Alas, I could capture the moon, but I couldn't see Venus in my photos.

After awhile, I realized that I had to make a composite photo. I photographed the moon at 1/60th of a second, but I couldn't really see Venus in the screen until I had reduced the shutter speed to 0.8th of a second, which is about 6x the light that I required for the moon. I composited the two images in Photoshop. They are the sizes that the camera captured, and they were that far apart.

The result was okay for this unexpected encounter in the middle of a sleepless night. I learned something too, for I had never realized that you couldn't capture the moon and another object like this with one exposure. So, whenever you see a photo like this in future, you'll know that some post production work was necessary. It's not faking it but rather is going to great lengths to capture the scene as it was. Good photography is so often more than a click of a button.

Before I go, I will harken back to the previous lunar photos — the Blue Supermoon ones. One of them got Explored (ie featured) on Flickr and got almost 4000 views and well over  200 faves.

It was this ↓ one, but it was the the first version that I originally showed you – the one before I removed the lampposts and lights: 


The Flickr version didn't have the reflection either, but when Barb bemoaned the lack of a reflection, I decided to do some Photoshopping. You see, although there was no reflection in this original photo, I did have one from a slightly different location, off to the left of this one. So, I grabbed the reflection from that photo and pasted it into this one. I probably should have enlarged the reflection to match the size of the moon better, but I decided to let the project rest. I have learned from both lunar shoots, and that is good enough for now.





18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

After your photography adventure, did you sleep well? I hope so…

Barbara Rogers said...

Many thanks for the added reflection...and Venus thanks you too. Where oh where would we be but for the ministrations of sleepless photographers like you? I like finding photos of the milky way with various sites, like Stonehenge, or a famous natural bridge of sandstone...and now you've leaked the methods behind them! Ah ha. No longer magic!

Jeanie said...

Both versions are lovely! I love it that you make the most of sleepless nights!

Margaret said...

Wow, what a shot! I didn't realize how much processing goes into photography. If I get a decent photo, it's always accidental! :)

Red said...

Well, that's pretty good for a sleepless night.

MARY G said...

I so frequently learn from you. Thanks. And, yes, the streetlights. Told you so!

RedPat said...

I'll never do that work but it is nice to hear about your methods.

Catalyst said...

Excellent nighttime adventure, AC.

PipeTobacco said...

Hmm. You felt an internal “hotness” but without sweating? A few thoughts:

1. Have you had adequate fluids TO sweat?
2. Was there a tangible reason TO feel hot (air conditioning stopped working or some such thing)?
3. With your recent medical visit did ANY medicines change (delayed effect of a different medicine perhaps)?

Feeling super hot without sweating is surprising. Try to keep aware of any other changes, as this is difficult to attempt to explain thus far.

PipeTobacco

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I don't recall ever taking a photo like the first one (which is excellent, by the way). But knowing how moonlight blows out everything else with it's extreme brightness, I'm not surprise you need two photos with different exposures. And congrats on being Explored!!

Jenn Jilks said...

I hope you sort out your infection soon!
I like the reflection.

Joanne Noragon said...

I used to fancy myself as good a photographer as you, before I realized how much you do to make your image what you saw. At that I am gobsmacked. I quit learning Photoshop back about 1988; too much to absorb. I love what you do, and admire the hours you put into it.

Celia said...

Beautiful photo! Sorry you were up and hot again. I agree with Pipe Tobacco maybe more fluids during the afternoons?! Worth a try,

William Kendall said...

Hot nights get to me too.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like your photos. I don't have your expertise with Photoshop, so I admire your results. Very nice.

Vicki Lane said...

A very nice use of sleepless time. And that composite shot is magnificent!

Jenny the Pirate said...

They're all just brilliant, AC xoxo

Kay said...

Wow! That is really impressive. I’m very bad at knowing camera settings. I can only do point and shoot. Therefore what you’re able to do always amazes me.