Friday, September 29, 2023

Thwarted at First

All summer long, we have been trying to get to the Gastropub for breakfast on the patio. We've actually had dates with Bob and Barb but had to renege. Yesterday we met at 9:30, and this is us on the patio. → →

Wait a sec, AC, You said us; there is no us. We know you're taking the photo, but where are B&B.

Well you see, we were thwarted, and they are not there, for the Gastropub is no longer open for breakfast. Too bad, so sad.

The alternate restaurant, Freska, wouldn't be open until 10, so we had a half hour to kill. B & B went off somewhere, but Sue wanted to stick around for pictures. I haven't see hers, but I took a few as well. They're all just phone snaps, but I wanted to share a few with you regardless, for it was one of those wonderful September days.

After wandering the empty patio, we headed to the park just a little way down the river from where Sue is standing in the above photo. Ye olde town hall ↓ was reflecting well. Too bad about the new boom that ruins photos, but it is there as a safety measure because the water is a bit wild for the next kilometre or so. If a craft mistakenly gets as far as the boom from upriver to the right, they can hang on until they can get out of there.


Breakfast at Freska was good. Afterward, Sue and I wandered about downtown near the bridge. This ↓ is a look upstream, focusing on that single red tree and its reflection.


We walked over the the far side ↓ the same side as the tree. I took a shot along the bank toward that same red tree. 


I am not sure that this will be a good colour year, for I have photos form other years that show a lot more colour than we see at this stage this year. So, is it just slower this year, or will we simply have a lesser display? We haven't had a frost yet, so maybe that accounts for the slow change.

I did take a photo looking back toward town hall, which was reflecting pretty well.


I should probably return with my big camera one day so I can zoom in at will and take a little more time. But there are a lot of things that I think I should do but don't do, so we shall see.


24 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, I like your phone shots. The second of looking toward that tree which has color is my favorite. The first had been until I saw the second!

Ed said...

Breakfast is probably the hardest meal to turn a profit. Hard to offer something unique that can’t be found in every other place serving breakfast and people aren’t willing to shell out lots of money for it like they would for supper.

Boud said...

I wonder if staff shortages had something to do with the no breakfast service? I like the brightness and spontaneity of your pix today.

Catalyst said...

I like the last picture. I always admire the architectural styles of the buildings. They look very old.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful still water shots.

gigi-hawaii said...

Beautiful reflections. I love them all. Maybe, next post you can show us photos of the four of you and your food.

Margaret said...

I love the reflection photos and the fall color. We have good and bad years for it too and it does have to do with the coldness of the nights.

Celia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Celia said...

I love the water pictures and the reluctant appearance of Autumn, same here without the water however. Such a lovely place in which you live.

MARY G said...

I like the framing on the second last shot the best. Amazing what you can do just snapping, for sure. If, indeed, it is YOU. Me, I would have my thumb in there somewhere.

RedPat said...

Love the last reflection shot.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Phone or not, your photos are outstanding! Sorry to hear that the Gastropub is not open for breakfast.

roentare said...

The reflection is outstanding

Red said...

Kind of a shock when you go to a restaurant and find that it has closed.

Marcia said...

Last photo is wonderful.

Marie Smith said...

Such a calm day. The reflections are wonderful. The autumn colour, if we get any, is slow to appear here this year too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Interesting about the boom. On seeing it, I first thought of the boom across the Mississippi, to hold back salt water from New Orleans.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! These photos are stunning. That huge sky and the reflection in the water are awesome!

DJan said...

I think your pictures are wonderful, especially that last one.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done!
Yes, the restaurants are changing things up with the tourists going home.
These are wonderful photos. Good work, as always.

Liz Hinds said...

What a pretty place you live in.

Jenny the Pirate said...

The leading lines are great in both shots, but I like the first red tree picture better. Reflection shots are everything. The clouds! xoxo

Jeanie said...

I can't believe how many posts I've missed of yours. Sorry about that. This looks like a beautiful photo shoot-- though sorry about the pub being closed for breakfast. That's disappointing!

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots.

I'm also wondering how this year will be. It's seemed slow for colours.