Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Fog in the Park

There was a heavy fog yesterday morning. Shauna reported that she was only going 70kph on the highway to work. The speed limit is 80, and she usually does 100. She could barely see the car ahead even though it was only 3 or 4 lengths in front.

I took the camera out early in the morning for the first time since spring. Off I went to Riverside Park. While I have been there before in the fog, it is still probably the best nearby place to go for a quick photoshoot.

I was not using a tripod and was not taking much care with my compositions but just shooting quickly and by whim.

This ↓ was one of my first photos. You have seen this tree before from various angles but never from this point of view, I think. I wish I had left a little more space to the right of the bench, but I was not being overly fastidious.

There is a boathouse across the river, which I used in a number of photos. I think the middle image is my fave of this series with the other objects serving to form a triangle with it. When I was taking the photo, I thought that I might remove the left object in edit, but I decided that I like it this way. As it happens, I seem to have changed my mind. When I decided which one to post first to Flickr, I chose the first photo.




A lady and her dog walked by. They were almost out of range when I decided to snap a photo. Happily, a gull provided foreground and depth. I decided to warm up this image in edit. As you can see in all of the other photos there was a bluish cast. I was fine with it in the other photos but not with this one.


There is a boat launch at the far end of the park. I took this photo to show how thick the fog was as I could barely see across the river.


I don't always like it when I shoot so randomly and carelessly, for I feel that I should take care to craft deliberately. But it was an outing, and there have been precious few this summer.


18 comments:

Judy from Maine said...

For careless shooting the photos are beautiful. Sometimes it best to just enjoy the process.

Marie Smith said...

Love the images, AC. The reflection of the boat house on the water, visible through the fog is particularly lovely!

DJan said...

I love the fog, and the last picture is my favorite.

Vicki Lane said...

These are beautiful. Well done! Careless shooting works just fine.

Jeanie said...

We had fog, too. I love it -- but not driving in it!

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely shots...especially the three different trees and bench. Somehow I like the diversity. Keep on doing random stuff! I like it!

NGS said...

These are beautiful. I love photographs taken in the fog. The one with the boathouse is pretty spectacular.

Margaret said...

Random photos can often capture things we don't even know are there. I love fog photos. That last one is eerie!

William Kendall said...

I guess the same fog was in the city too.

RedPat said...

Magical time in the fog. Love that boathouse shot.

Granny Sue said...

Agree with Jan, the last photo is my choice too.

DrumMajor said...

I like the first one: the bench wants to tell us all of the stories and life adventures it's heard about, better than "if walls could talk." Picky me wants you to magically erase the buoys in the other photos. Walking and grabbing a shot is sometimes the best way to get unplanned good photos! Linda in Kansas (yep it was foggy here too, but KC still has smoke from Canadian fires.)

PipeTobacco said...

Fog is fun to run in. Not so much for driving. Pictures are very ethereal!

PipeTobacco

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice foggy photos!

Red said...

Sometimes you have to live on the edge a bit.

Jenn Jilks said...

It was a lovely day for it!

roentare said...

Outstanding fog!

Joanne Noragon said...

I think it would be tiring to be Ansel Adams every time you took a picture!