Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Family Dinner Semi Restaurant Style

Sue and I are not restaurant people for the most part. I mean, we do not go out a lot, and when we do, it is mostly for breakfast. For one thing, our budget doesn't extend to too many pricey meals, but I don't think we would be out there a lot in any case.

(I see I have been updated to the new Blogger. We shall see how it goes.)

In these pandemic times, we are even less inclined to gravitate to restaurant fare. While many have been ordering restaurant meals for delivery or takeout, we don't find that too enticing. I mean if one is going to pay restaurant prices, it would be nice to make an outing of it and be served in a restaurant. Why turn an expensive meal into a tv dinner, for example.

To each their own, but that is our feeling. Pizza excepted, of course: but we have only done that twice, or maybe thrice, since mid-March.

However, one local restaurant/hotel makes family dinners on most weekends, and I thought we could try one for our Monday family dinner.


We had to pick it up cold on Sunday, but it came cold with warming instructions, so into the fridge it went until Monday. It was made for 4, and we were 5, but we thought we could make it stretch. And we managed to do just that, partly because there was enough and partly because JJ is a very fussy eater and he was not taken with the food. The rest of us enjoyed it very much. 

I particularly liked the soup and had a second helping because there was some left after others had their fill. The stroganoff was enjoyed by all -- except JJ. And the cake, OMG! the cake. Scrumptious, I tell ya.

I didn't have the salad because I was quite full, but enough remains that I can enjoy that later today. There is even enough stroganoff remaining that Sue and I should be able to stretch into another meal.


15 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Stroganoff is such an interesting item.... it really seems like it can be nearly any mix of ingredients.... with noodles. I am glad it was fun!

PipeTobacco

gigi-hawaii said...

I used to make beef stroganoff when I lived in San Francisco. I should make it here in Hawaii, too. Well, some day...

DJan said...

Not being a beefeater, ever, and not much other flesh, it didn't sound good to me, but then again, I am also picky about some food choices. Glad you had enough to go around. :-)

Margaret said...

That sounds delicious! I've also avoided most take out and for the same reason. I like the experience of eating out and being served, if I'm going to spend the money. John and I used to find local happy hours a couple times a week and share some small plates. I miss that. Still, it's great to have something different that you don't have to prepare. You may inspire me to try it although it's pointless for one person. I've ordered out pizza and that's it. Luckily, I like pizza enough to eat it several days after that as leftovers.

Christina said...

My mouth is watering! I love Stroganoff, when I was little and on the rare occasions we went out with my family, I would always order this dish. We don't often eat out, it is expensive with all the kids and not particularly enjoyable because the children often bicker.... But just today, we ordered a Vietnamese take-out to celebrate our daughter's exam results. I am waiting for the food as I type.

William Kendall said...

I'd go for stroganoff.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There are some restaurants in this area that offer similar family to-go meals, but since we don't have family nearby we haven't tried them. In fact, we haven't even done take-out in recent weeks. But, we have dined out at a few local eateries on a weekly basis. Breakfast remains our favorite dining out meal as well. Your take-out dinner seems to have been a hit, except with J.J.

Marcia said...

So we've been to one restaurant since this plague hit. And that was here in our new home town of Lebanon. I had to make a reservation through Open Table and seating then was outside. Sanitizer on the table, waitress masked and gloved. It was a pleasant event and we brought home leftovers. Now that was our first Saturday living here and we didn't have our stuff to prep meals until the next day. The previous two dinners were supplied by daughter Emily in her backyard.

I'm tempted to try again sometime later this month. I'll have to see what Dan thinks.

Vicki Lane said...

I made Beef Stroganoff last week. I wish we'd had the soup and the cake too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Excellent. Well done. And JJ, people who don't like supper generally go hungry or make themselves a peanut butter sandwich.

Mage said...

Bravo. It all sounds like so much fun. Thanks for taking us along.

Mage said...

Ps: Have you gotten your hatches battened down for the incoming hurricane.

Marie Smith said...

Breakfast was our preference for meals out too. We always took early appointments so we could go to breakfast afterwards. We haven’t done that since last winter. You made a good choice by the sound of it.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love eating out on a patio. We're not doing that anytime soon!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

And you supported a local business in the process.