Monday, August 10, 2020

A Real Peasouper

The weather network was right. It was foggy this morning. Not just a little misty either but a real pea-souper. I went out just a little before 6AM but had to be cautious just driving on local streets.

I had awakened at 4 or maybe 4:30, but I didn't have to hurry out like I would have had to in order catch a sunrise, which was at 6. Even though the sun is rising later these days, I probably would have head out before 5:30 to catch the best light if I were looking for a sunrise.

Of course, there wasn't a sunrise at all this morning. The fog won a clear victory over the sun although, of course, Old Sol eventually prevailed as it always does. If I recall correctly, it will win its final victory in about four billion years when it will go supernova (if that's the right term) and vapourize the earth.

The previous night, I decided that I would try to photograph the townhall tower in the fog. As you will shortly see, that just didn't work out very well. My secondary location would be the park That worked out better but mainly because I went there later.

Alrighty, here is my first photo, taken around 6 o'clock. I used my longest telephoto lens but had huge trouble focusing, I did it as best I could by putting my focal point over the clock which had a little bit of contrast and definition.

Then, I pointed the camera the other way and photographed the geese just beyond the dock. I don't mind ths result. There's a certain mood, but it's not creepy like the tower, above.

About a half hour, I moved to a new location and was still focused on the tower, but it still wasn't working very well for me. I think I converted this one to black-and-white, but it was pretty well monochrome anyway.

I decided to give up on the tower and drove to a point on the river across from the canoe club, but it was still too soupy.

Finally, I drove to Riverside Park which is on the other side of the river stretching to the right past the canoe club. I took these next two photos on my walk through the park. I decided to crop them both pano style.


My old bod was getting rather uncomfortable after almost two hours of standing around, so I turned around to wend my way back to the car, It was then that I captured my favourite photo of the day, and it was mostly by chance, for as I set up to take the photo, a lady and her dog walked into the frame. Click.

Remember this is almost two hours after sunup and look at how foggy it still was. I did decide to process in tones warmer than what it was. I wish the dog had been out front, but I can't complain too much.


14 comments:

Mage said...

Congratulations on your sale and the fogs. Yes, the tower shots don't work well. They would have been successful if there had been wisps of fog instead of a wall of fog. Yes, the lady and her dog add the interest that make the shot work.

DJan said...

I really, really like the third from last the best. And I like them all to some degree, except for the spooky first shot. :-)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Amazing amount of fog you had this morning....We have slight amounts of fog from time to time, but nothing like that.

PipeTobacco said...

The clock tower and the birds at the dock are both my favorites! All, of course are very nice.

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

I love the ducks, the lady in the park, and the park itself. Fog can add such an ethereal, mysterious component to photos.

Vicki Lane said...

The tower is definitely creepy--lik Capt. Nemo's Nautilus. I like the dock and the geese and the shots in the par are lovely.

Vicki Lane said...

Third from last is my favorite too.

Tabor said...

I like your persistance and your ability to see why something does not work. It give me ideas to be more expresssive.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like all of them, save the very first, creepy one.

The Liberty Belle said...

I rather like the eerie atmosphere that the fog provides. Although the townhall tower photos might not have turned out as you might have liked, I think they are pretty cool. Have a great day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yep, I could skip the tower shots...but love the trees with fog behind them. We have fog here which keeps the valleys snug and quiet somehow. Oh, I don't hear a single bird!

William Kendall said...

I was awake around that time and saw the fog as well in the city.

gigi-hawaii said...

You captured the fog beautifully.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I think that I was somewhere in a dream when you were setting out, but then you were much more productive. We've had fog on the river here a few times but I've never been motivated enough to get down to the bank and take photos. I liked the one with the clocktower in the fog.