Wednesday, August 26, 2020

JJ Sleeps Over

I must confess to being a little overwhelmed with sleepovers. We are now into our 4th day (JJ will go home later today), and I feel as though I could still write more about Danica's sleepover, nevermind JJ's. Maybe it will all get written -- maybe not -- time will tell.

This post will be a quick overview of time with JJ yesterday.

As with Danica, we also took him down to the dam. I didn't take my big camera this time. Actually, the phone works well enough for snapshots in decent light. In fact, when I process my RAW snapshotty type of photos from the big camera, I sometimes ask myself how the phone would process the rather flat shot. With all its computing power, the phone does very good processing much of the time, boosting saturation and contrast. While phone photography is not great for controlling the light etc, it is often just fine for record photos.

Anyway -- down at the dam.



After playing below the dam, I let him onto the dam, despite the Danger No Trespassing sign. Don't judge me too harshly, for playing on the dam and jumping off it is not uncommon. He's a boy, and a little adventure is a good thing IMO.


Time to go home, but I had to wait while he played at driving. I remember the feeling although I was a little older, and we didn't even have a car when I was 11, but I can remember really wanting to drive. He'll have to wait 5 years though.


For dinner, we picked up shawarmas and ate them by the river behind townhall. By then it was quite windy and chilly. The 14-day weather forecast does not include a heatwave, for which we are grateful.


Back home in the evening, I showed him the basic chess moves. We didn't play a game, but he learned how the pieces move, and we set up the board, so he could checkmate me. In this photo at the beginning of our tutorial, I show him the king.


Later, we all played a few games of Sorry, each of us winning once.

Then he was allowed on his phone until bedtime. He has gotten his clock turned around during this huge time off from school, so it was lights out at 10 and set the alarm for 9 if he is still asleep, which he is at 7 o'clock this morning.

12 comments:

DJan said...

I think those photos are great. Which phone do you have? I'm ready for an upgrade. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Our kids' iPad are set go off at 8 a.m. I try really hard to get them into bed in good time! This is our last week with them before school.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun. And I'm glad you played Sorry...nothing like turning over those cards to level out the playing field. Anyone can win. Now chess is something I can't play at all. Can't remember who moves where! Loved your shots of playing by the water.

gigi-hawaii said...

That's 11 hours of sleep. Wow.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed both this post of the time spent with JJ and the previous one of a similar visit with Danica, Dam that looked like fun (sorry could resist, but didn't). Seeing how much your 2 grandchildren have grown up is a bit nostalgic as then I realize how fast and how much ours have grown in RI, but sadly we haven't seen them in person since last December. It's wonderful that you and Sue are able to participate in their lives and they in yours. Chess is something I never quite mastered, and it's been years since we played Sorry, which reminds me of Parcheesi.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the shot of JJ jumping from rock to rock! Sound like a good time was had by all.

Margaret said...

I love the photos and think it's important to quickly capture the moments with what is at hand. (which is usually a cell phone) The pictures are always fun to look back on! We enjoyed playing board games; I still do except for chess, which was much too complicated for me. My late husband taught our daughters though. Glad you aren't expecting any extremely hot weather. It's getting chilly at night here now; fall is on its way!

Marie Smith said...

We have a grandson who’s three now. Such a great difference between the boy and his two sisters. Love the boy experience as much as the girl one. Lucky you with one of each.

William Kendall said...

I've never played Sorry.

Christina said...

Lovely to have sleepovers with granddad and granny. I must have said this before.. sleepover with my grandparents were the best. I had them until I emigrated to Scotland at the mature age of 28. My mum can't visit my kids just now due to quarantine and travel restrictions.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good job on chess basics.

Rita said...

Precious times!! :)