Sunday, August 16, 2020

Bits and Pieces

I just have a few odd bits for your delectation today.

Presently is a word that we hear on British tv, of which we watch a lot. In that context it means soon but not just yet. On this side of the pond, we don't use presently in that form. To us it just means now and even then we don't use it often.

I can remember my grandfather using the word more than 65 years ago, and I doubt whether I have heard it used that way, in person, in all of these subsequent years. But I am pleased to hear it used that way on tv, or in keeping with the spirit of Britain, perhaps I should say telly.

In a different vein. Here is an FB ad that I was seeing over and over and that I had to put a stop to because it was driving me crazy.

You see, don't you? As written, it's a declaration that Somersby isn't all that wonderful or maybe that Canadian isn't. It needs either a question mark or rewriting. The ad actually stopped me in my tracks when it first came up, trying to figure out what they meant. Then, when it kept reappearing in my feed, over and over and over again, I just had enough. Who in tarnation proofed this and thought it was a good ad?

Finally, we don't do many selfies anymore, but we do some. So here we are from me to you with approval from the cat. Happy Sunday or happy whatever day you read this.



12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I missed the selfies. Glad you posted one today. Helps me start the day with a smile!

Marcia said...

Back from vacation. The ad for Sommersby had me fooled. Didn't know which wasn't wonderful Canadian or Sommersby. You should write the company.

Vicki Lane said...

I read the ad in a positive sense. But an exclamation point wouldn't hurt. about presently--I'm aware of the use from British tv and novels but have never used it myself. Maybe I'll start. Presently.

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't understand that ad, either. It makes no sense. As for the word, presently, I use it quite often. For me, presently means now or currently.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I think the ad is positive...If there were no period after Canadian it would not seem so to me. I think I occasionally use the word presently when I mean soon. But I don't use it often. I may just think I do from reading it in British books.

Margaret said...

I see your point about the ad. That would have to be emphasized somehow, which is difficult to do in writing. Isn't THAT wonderful. I still think it needs a question mark. I like kitties, so I enjoy your selfies. Are your eyelashes enhanced or are they really that long and thick? (jealous)

DJan said...

I would have just skipped past that ad if you hadn't pointed out its confusing message. I don't see it on my feed I guess because I'm not Canadian. Sending you a big Meow! :-)

Mage said...

It's not visible down here.

Red said...

The language grows as we are influenced by different areas. You could make a whole blog on english words and their peculiarity.

Joanne Noragon said...

I would resolve it by buying none of it.

dellgirl said...

A question mark at the end of ..."Isn't That Wonderful?" . . . would make a world of difference. Wishing you a great week. Stay Safe, my friend!

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you!
I'm so tired of the iin-your-face ads, eating up my bandwidth, flashing, pup-ups. sigh.
I love the eye liner!!!