Thursday, August 20, 2020

Dreams and Coffee

 I swear that I had never done this before -- ever -- but now I have done it twice within one week.

I made coffee with my tassimo without inserting the mug.

Thankfully, there is a removable mug-size container underneath for dolts like me. And I didn't spill this time when I poured the contents into the mug. At least not much. Not like last time anyway.

What can you expect from a codger when he wakes up at least an hour, if not two or three, too early at 4AM? 

That's just stupid, but there's a reason, just not a good one.

Despite having retired almost two decades past, I had a wild school dream that had got my mind going. It wasn't a first day back to school dream, but I had done something really stupid and embarrassing which had irked my fellow teachers. I was trying to explain my action away, even to myself after I awoke. Some dreams are like that; you are still trying to sort them out as you awaken.

It was then that I also realized that my throat was scratchy, and I started thinking COVID after a day when I had been in a few shops.

So, my brain and I went over the symptoms. My breathing was okay, but as far as taste and smell, I couldn't tell yet, there not really being anything to taste and smell in bed at 4 in the morning. I didn't remember scratchy throats being a symptom, but on the other hand, my throat is  a weak spot and gets included in almost every ailment that finds me.

That was that! With mind spinning haplessly, I arose, which didn't altogether thrill me because I have a full day ahead with some travelling involved. Sigh.

Back to coffee: there was also the time, not too long ago, when I made a pot without adding the coffee.

Oh dear! Are these symptoms of you know what? Could be. But I am somewhat consoled by the reality that I have always always been absent-minded, so perhaps it's all just a fluke -- a fluke brought on my a lack of sleep.

For it is true that I am simply not getting enough sleep and haven't been for weeks. Too often my sleeps are less than six hours, and last night it was less than five. 

13 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

So sorry for your disturbing dream and hoping you will get more sleep. It's important. Can't you get back to sleep after a bit, after you have calmed down from your dream?

Marie Smith said...

Being tired makes me do similar things, absent minded stuff where my husband asks me what I’m doing. It’s pretty normal I think.

DJan said...

Same here. I'm losing sleep as I watch the Convention on TV and staying up late worrying about the state of my country. I have done similar things as your latest glitches. Makes for a good post, though! :-)

Tabor said...

My cough wakes me at least twice if not more and I cannot see a doctor for a month! Great health care system we have. I had a sore throat a few months ago and started sucking on Zinc tabs and thankfully it went away before the next day.

gigi-hawaii said...

I can empathize with you. Well, some days are better than others, you know. Wait for the good days to make you forget the bad ones.

PipeTobacco said...

I can fully sympathize and feel kinship regarding the absent mindedness and dream stress.... I too have both maladies. I am hopeful that you really are not experiencing Covid symptoms..... I would suspect with the safe way you conduct yourself the more likely scenario is that with your rough dream, you may have been laying on your back, mouth agape and that (along with potential snoring (back position promotes snoring)) May be the more likely reason for the throat issues. At least I know that has happened to me on occasion.

PipeTobacco

Barbara Rogers said...

When I had my Covid test on Tues, they said if I'd caught it, it wouldn't have been from what I did the day before...but earlier. And it was negative and I got the results in 2 days! Good news on that front. Now if my heart would just behave. I send you virtual wishes for a good night's sleep soon. There are a lot of old wives techniques out there, including milk before bed. For me I got some antidepressants which I only take a half dose, after falling asleep for 4 hours on Sunday afternoon.

Margaret said...

I understand what you mean about working through dreams when you first wake up. There are times when I try to go back to sleep, just to resolve whatever was happening. I haven't had a school dream yet, but I seem to have much more vivid ones that I remember better when I wake up. I am always aware of smells these days because it seems like a good sign that I (probably) don't have Covid19.

Mage said...

....and that won't do. I just go back to bed, and ya know...After I say to myself, another 2 hours or another hour, I actullyy go back to sleep.

William Kendall said...

Some nights I get a lot of sleep, others, not so much.

Coffee? Never. Wouldn't touch the stuff if I was in a desert and it was the only liquid for a thousand kilometres. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

Mara said...

Oh pfew! I am not the only one then. The other day I had a dream and everything went wrong in it. Even after waking, I felt guilty. For something that never happened, apart from in the dream.

I hope you got enough caffeine in you at last to tackle the traveling you are about to do. Anywhere nice?

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Sometimes I realized how absorbed I get in what I do to the exclusion of much else. I had to google Tassimo to see what it meant!