Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Down by the Dam with Danica

A friend, who is also a senior and also somewhat hobbled, found a spot where he could get down to the river by the dam. I asked if he thought I could also accomplish that feat, and he did think it possible. So, I headed there with Danica. What with branches to grab and an occasional hand from Danica, I made it.

I found a few possible compositions that might work in good light and with a tripod. That wasn't the case yesterday, but I have an idea or three for future reference.



But the outing was mostly for Danica who could get around while I kept myself fairly close to our point of access.


She got right below the dam itself. Of course, we disregarded the Danger sign. The water is low. One would most certainly not be allowing children or anyone to do this at some times during the year. Spring runoff can be quite torrential.



I do like the juxtaposition of Danica and the Danger: Keep Away sign in the next two photos.


This was part of the path, below, to get to and away from the river. The actual path veers off to the right once one is partway up, so it wasn't quite as it looks in the photo.

I took a few short video clips (17 seconds), which I see that New Blogger handles differently. I shall worry about the sizing at some other time. For now, just click YouTube or the fullscreen icon (bottom right) beside the word.

Note: I chanced to see my blog on my phone yesterday, The photos were quite distorted. Does anyone read blogs via phone? BTW it works fine on the iPad.


13 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

That fist shot is especially nice!

Barbara Rogers said...

Can't wait to see more of these angles. Nope, never tried blogger-watching on my phone. Maybe I hve on the iPad, not sure. I would definitely have freaked out if my daughter were standing in front of the flood-gates.

Marie Smith said...

Spring run-off must be quite something.

Your young woman has gotten so tall!

Marcia said...

What grade is she entering next week? High school?

My husband's notorious for ignoring danger signs. He says "that sign doesn't mean me." But lately age 70 creeping up is tempering his adventurous streak.

How do you combine videos?

gigi-hawaii said...

D looks like a fine young lady. You and Sue are blessed to have her in your home for a few days.

Anvilcloud said...

Marcia. I can do basic combining in Photoshop. I can’t do fancy stuff there, but I don’t have a need for fancy. I am sure that there are free video programs out there, but I don’t know what they are. I am not really into video, so basic combining is really all that I need. I can add a music rack but have only done so a few times.

Margaret said...

I like those shots! Lots of treats for the eye. I find the Danger sign next to Danica quite ironic. I rarely if ever read blogs on my phone, only on my laptop where the pictures look fine. Now I have to check!

Red said...

a pleasant place to look for some good photo opportunities.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good job, Grampa. And with all due respect, she was well away from that Danger sign.

Rita said...

New spot for photos! Fun! But be careful. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I think a lot of us have laptops or iPad. I cannot see much on our small smart phone.
They are going crazy redoing blogger, making it hard for all, while trying to make it easy to read on a smart phone. Oh, young people.

DJan said...

I sure like that first photo. And all of them are pretty darn good, even if the danger sign dominates a couple of them. I've never read a blog on my phone, so that's good feedback. :-)

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots!

On those days when I'm not around a computer, I do read some blogs on my phone, but it's not an easy process to write comments.