Thursday, July 04, 2019

Lady Slipper Orchids

Sorry. I've been a little busy and will continue to be for awhile. I am managing, barely, to do some posting but my blog reading is a little hit and miss lately, with more missing than hitting.

To answer one question from the previous post: I shoot fireworks at ISO100, 4 seconds, and f11 — on a tripod, of course because you can't really do it any other way. I set up the camera and don't change anything once the fireworks are in progress. I just take a lot of shots and hope for the best.

That was Monday. Wednesday (yesterday), Bob and I were on the road at 6:30 to visit the Purdon Conversation Area where the ladyslipper (or lady slipper) orchids are showing. It's about an hour away, so we began photographing around 7:30 and stayed for an hour or more.

It was hot enough in the gully but we did shoot in the cool of day even though it wasn't cool.

I went along the boardwalks once with my macro lens, crawling around down there and being a little disappointed with the results once I had them uploaded.

Here is one result. I like much about it but wish I could have nailed the focus better. I thought I had it, but it's a little soft. Still, I like the photo quite a bit.



Here is Bob's photo of me in a typical position. It's buggy down there, so I was wearing light long pants and shirt. I changed to shorts and tee later at the restaurant.



I returned to the car, changed lenses and went through again with the 70-200mm lens. I mostly shot standing straight up and without a tripod. As I type this, I have yet to look at this round of images. Hang on.

Thanks for being patient. I quickly edited this one image.



Unlike the first, this is highly cropped because even at 200mm, I was still too far from the flowers that I wanted to photograph as we are restricted to the boardwalk and many of the blooms are back a piece. The new 100-400 lens would have helped, but by then I was too tired and hot to go back to the car to change lenses and then make another trip around.

Instead we went to the pancake house for breakfast before Bob took me on a tour of some many of his favourite county backroads.

Hopefully, I will return to the ladyslipper photos at a later date, but we have company coming today followed by a busy three-day Celtfest.

10 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks John for the info on your fireworks photo settings. Also, I know what you mean about it being hard to keep up with blog reading. We are back home now and if I didn’t post during our extended road trip, it would be impossible to have done it. I am still working on a couple more trip posts and trying to keep up with other blogger’s posts, many of whom post more often than myself. Looking forward to seeing the ladyslipper photos in your future posts.

Marie Smith said...

The lady slippers are gorgeous. I love that first photo. Great photo of the photographer at work.

Vicki Lane said...

So beautiful -- you commitment paid off.

troutbirder said...

I have probably mentioned this previously but the show a pink is Minnesota's state flower. Though protected by state law they and other orchids are becoming quite rare in parts of Minnesota. People dig them out for their gardens and don't realize how difficult they are to move and survive. Until recently they could not be propagated artificially in greenhouses etc. that's changed but the show a pinks are very expensive to buy legally now. I bought some legally 40 years ago built a small artificial blog and eventually had about 25 thriving in the box. When we built our new house I moved them and the blog eventually losing them all to a flock of my neighbors domestic rabbits but that's another story all right a post on sometime this summer :-) locally in southeastern Minnesota the yellow lady slippers or Michelson flowers if you wish are still found and I have several of those in my Woodland wildflowers plot.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Your lady slipper photos are just amazing and so beautiful!

Mage said...

I truly enjoy seeing the photographer at work. You do give us great creations. Thank you.

William Kendall said...

These are terrific shots!

Barbara Rogers said...

Looking forward to seeing more of these...and I appreciate the efforts to capture what you as an artist see in these sweet tiny flowers. Me too, not doing as much blogging, but it's nice to see familiar commentators when they get the change to drop by!

Joanne Noragon said...

Lovely, lovely shots.
A favor: can you try a post in a size larger font. Up there at the drop down by T, select Large. Let's see if that makes reading easier.

Jenn Jilks said...

The best is the photo of you!