Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Heather's Book Talk

My wonderful sister-in-law, Heather, is in town for a week, mostly to visit and also to take in Celtfest with us. But Sue also arranged a book talk at our local cafe, Under Pressure Coffee House, and yesterday was the day. They have sold Heather's novel, Clay Girl, for some time.

I have written about Heather and Clay Girl before, including The Clay Girl Unveiled almost three years ago, and this post referred to a recommendation from fellow blogger and author, Vicky Lane. Vicky's own full post is here.

Before I move on to yesterday's event, permit me me to put in a plug for Cracked Pots, which is both the sequel to and completion of Ari's story as The Clay Girl left us hanging a bit. Publishers require new authors to keep their books to a modest length, so Heather essentially chopped her original manuscript (which I had read) in half. The book did well enough that they are keen to publish part two. As I understand it, Cracked Pots should hit the bookstores sometime next year.

Yesterday, Heather explained many things about the protagonist, Ari who is The Clay Girl. I won't do it justice here, of course, but very briefly, Heather met many people in her job, including grief workshops, who had led very difficult lives. She wanted a heroine who lived a very positive life despite her difficult beginnings. Heather also explained why she set the book in the sixties.

Of course, I snapped a few pics.

As people came in, Heather's journals were laid out for perusal. They are quite incredible. Here Sue shows off some of her works. She has previously done a journalling workshop here in town:
Heather's Illustrated Heritage Journal Workshop.




I also got this photo of Heather, Sue and Shauna early on. It pleases me a little that this shot happens to juxtapose some of my own photos in the background.



Eventually, there were twelve at the table while I and three other guys sat off to the side. Meanwhile, other people came and went for the coffee shop was still open for normal trade.





What a great and interesting talk. I was so proud to know and be related to this lady.



Those in attendance gave her their full attention.



There were also moments of laughter.



In all with the pre and post mingling, two hours flew by very quickly, and I am pretty sure that everyone was happy to have attended.


11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I enjoyed The Clay Girl and look forward to book 2.

Barbara Rogers said...

How wonderful, it looks like an experience to remember, and your photos will help everyone to do so. Now I've got another book to look forward to reading!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I wish I could have been there...It looks like a great event.

So, I know what I will be reading next. I don't think I was following your blog when your first wrote about this book, so I'm glad to read about it now.

MARY G said...

Delightful story and photos. You surely do have photogenic ladies in your life.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed every minute of Heather's presenture. Lots of laughs& great info re the clay girl.

Tabor said...

What fun that you come from such a lovely talented family. I like that you support each other's talents and that you support each other!

William Kendall said...

It looks like everyone enjoyed it.

Joanne Noragon said...

The topic seems well received!

troutbirder said...

What fun.....! And I do love book talks and book clubs

Lorna said...

You were right! It was one of the best I'Ve ever attended, and it was especially interesting to hear the way the persons in the book were as active in the writing as the writer.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the way you are so proud of her!
My book was published 10 years ago and I'm using it for kindling now!