Monday, July 29, 2019

Busy Photographic Weekend

The title says it, but I am not going to post much of it at this point but just give a little overview. All three events are related to the town's celebration of our 200th anniversary.

Friday Night was trivia night in which six teams went through more than 7 rounds of local trivial questions from geography to literature, history and beyond. Actually, only 4 teams of 4 registered to participate, but a few people came to watch the proceedings and were persuaded to join in. I only went to shoot the event, but was asked to join one group to give it the required fourth player.

These were my teammates to whom most of the trivia burden fell. As lifelong residents, they knew much more than I did.  Early on we were in third place but slipped to fourth before the evening was done.


Saturday was to be the big day: a 10+ hour concert in the park. How would we manage that on a hot day? Well, we arrived early and set up our chairs in the shade. We couldn't see the stage, but we could hear the music, and we stayed pretty comfortable in the breeze.

When a new group would come on stage, I would head up, take some pictures and retreat to my spot in the shade after about 5 minutes. I will only show one photo for now of country singer, Jason Blaine, who was the headliner. After 11 hours in the park we were tired, and since I had done my job, we left rather than stay for another hour, as good as he was.

I only managed a few photos of him, but I love how the background
lights and smoke turned out in this photo.

Meanwhile, Sue was a brick. She didn't really have to be there at all but decided to assist me. Just having her there to secure my extra camera while I went wandering was a huge help. But beyond that, she did her own wandering and shooting, making friends in the crowd. Here's her shot of happy ladies in the beer tent, which was teeming later in the evening.


The Sunday event was a version of the Amazing Race where teams had to try to find 200 clues (for 200 years). I managed a few pics in two locations, but when I went to what I suspected was to be the third place of convergence, no one was there. It was hot, and I was tired, and with Bob also on duty, I called it quits. He will have done a fine job.

Many stops involved taking pictures of their accomplishments. 

And that is that, for now anyway. At this point, I am almost too tired to even look at the hundreds of weekend photos, never mind edit and cull.

7 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I love looking at the result of a photo shoot usually. Maybe you need a break for a day!

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a hot one, too. I sat in the pool and read a book!

Tabor said...

Feeling the same about my Colorado/Wyoming trip. Not enough people photos...I just find that I seem to avoid those!! Must get over that shyness.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I would have been beyond exhausted! But it seems like a wonderful several day celebrations. The first night might have been the most interesting to me...

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, staying in the shade, moving very little! I once found (when living in FL) that drinking a lot of beer on a hot day doesn't hydrate one, as I had passed out from the heat. Water please!

William Kendall said...

That was a long day for you!

Mage said...

Bravo.