Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Day One with the Kids

Time was that we had the kids a lot a lot during all seasons but not so much anymore. But we still fill in for a few days each summer — for how long I don't know. Yesterday was our first stint for this summer; today is our second. There will be a fairly big break before the next one.

They are very attached to their devices and were on them about two minutes or less right after their arrival.


But then we played Monopoly. As per usual I spent much time in jail and paid many taxes. It's uncanny, I tell you. It or a variation occurs in every game. I am not making this up. I don't know how many times I got around the board, but at least three times I landed on the Go to Jail square. And at least three times, if I did get to GO, I hit the tax square and had to forfeit my $200. I didn't even pay my $50 to get out of jail in this game; I just waited and rolled the requisite number of rolls. I figured that I was at least safe from taxes and rents in there.



After lunch we were off to the coffee shop for drinks and dessert where we always take these similar shots.



Then, I had the idea to send Danica outside to take a pic of us back through the glass. I love how the reflections give a double exposure effect. Danica's shadow is in there too.


Danica got into selfies. She takes a lot of selfies.


I noticed myself in the background of this selfie. When this occurs the background person can look tiny, so I hunched down to exaggerate the effect.


She then got into a different kind of selfie with help from JJ and his phone.


From there it was off to the library where Danica explored around the Ancestry program which she often does. I had a book with some of her previous work to try to help with a few things. It's funny how roots interest her (always have), for aside from me, they don't interest anyone else in the family in the least.



Then it was time for home. JJ did some art while Danica did whatever she does on her phone. I made supper, and we had a game of Sorry, which of course, I lost.

10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh you played 2 of my favorite games with grands...and I miss doing so a lot. They don't have a place to stay (my 1 br apt is tiny) so don't visit here...and we were too busy doing other stuff when I went to FL last spring. So glad to hear you granddaughter likes ancestry...it's something none of my grands have had interest in yet. They liked hearing we had a king in our family roots, that's about it. Super photos done by you and your g-dtr.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

You may not be lucky at board games but you are lucky at life.

Christina said...

I must have said this before but spending time with my grandparents was one of the best things ever, even when I was in my late teens. My kids love visiting their only grandparent, my mum. This year is the first time they aren't all at my mum's for a week. She mentioned earlier this year that it was a bit much having three or four youngsters for a whole week. I do understand of course but shorter periods are just not practical as visiting involves a flight to the continent. Maybe when the youngest two are a bit less of a handful! My daughter flew over all by herself for a special grandmother-granddaughter break.

I quite like taking selfies but I always look a bit startled or grumpy! The shot through the windows is such a great idea, will copy this at some point.

Marie Smith said...

I dread the time when I will see less of the grandkids but that day is coming.

Marcia said...

Just spent the weekend with our youngest granddaughter in her new home in Buffalo, NY. I hope when all three granddaughters are older we will get to have them visit us by themselves. Treasure the times you have with them. They will be over before you know it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Still nice to see that despite spending time on their devices, the grands do take time for board games and a library visit. The window reflect shots and selfies looked like fun!

Mage said...

I'm so sorry.

Jenn Jilks said...

I remember an old lady in the mall when my kids were young, and my youngest, the troublemaker, was having a screaming tantrum on the floor. "Enjoy them while they are young," she said. sigh.
I'm glad you are enjoying them. We have Gramma Camp next week!

William Kendall said...

If I ever played Monopoly, it would have been so long ago that it's been forgotten.

Jenny Woolf said...

It's always nice playing the old board games. I am OK at Monopoly, sadly this is not reflected in real life...