Tuesday, July 09, 2019

The Great Ashley MacIsaac

Over the years, we have seen and heard many awesome fiddlers at Celtfest, but as I sat mesmerized by Ashley MacIsaac on Saturday night at Celtfest, I began to realize that I was in the presence of greatness. As my sister-in-law described it, he is a genius.

It was just him with no band. Oh . . . he did have a single beatboxer (believe it or not) guy on stage with him, but the fiddling was straight Ashley and only Ashley: no singing, which I would normally miss but didn't in the least that night.

On a very warm night, he came on stage in black and wearing an overcoat, sunglasses, and a baseball cap. But he delivered. Two days later, as you can probably tell, I remain in awe. I think that shall have to consider it as a lifetime event.

How do you photograph a man dressed in black from your distant seat? Well you use a long lens, take lots of shots, and hope that a few turn out. As you glance at the photos, look for his stray bow strings (particularly in the last two photos), which is a bit of a trademark.






At the end of his performance, he tossed his hat into the audience, so I was able to squeeze a few shots in his short encore.



Here is a YT video that I found that I think gives you a good idea. Just think that he played like this for a whole hour for us.



Believe it or not, he does Stayin Alive, which really roused the crowd at Celtfest. His beatboxer/drummer accompanist is both seen (briefly) and heard in this one. Remarkable.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We’ve seen Ashley perform here in Summerside. Just a fantastic fiddle player with strings flying. Great photos!

William Kendall said...

He is intense. I hope he's at a better place in his life than he was a few years back.

Marcia said...

Never seen a lefty violinist before. Concert orchestra players always bow with their right hand. I guess that's not a necessity for fiddlers.

Kay said...

Wow! I'm impressed. That first video is really intense.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are amazing photos. You do so well. This is an amazing series. Well done.