Thursday, July 25, 2019

Two Evening Photos

Can you imagine a post of mine with only two pics? Well that's all you get for today, and I'm sure that it's a treat not to have to pore through as many as I have been posting lately. I do think that one should try to keep pics down to a moderate level of, say, 4 or 5, but sometimes we just want to post a whole event for purposes of record.

To get to the point (finally, AC), as we cycled through the park with the kids on Tuesday, I noticed a striking stand of flowers at the back of one of the homes that abut onto the park. I made the quick calculation that they might be in golden backlight come evening, so I went back the next evening, Wednesday, after supper.

Well, I was both right and wrong about the light as it was almost a perfect time, but trees were blocking most of it. However, I did catch a few flowers on the edge of the clump. Hopefully, you can see that my thoughts were on the right track as the light was pretty good. Sometimes if not most of the time, we are forced to ignore the truth that light is the most important part of photography, but if we can catch the better light, it makes a ton of difference.


I wandered about a bit and snapped some photos that I trashed (although I was in a mood and should have kept one of the geese) and got to the river edge. In the distance I spotted a heron. It's not the best shot, but it's always nice to capture a heron.


The stonework behind the bird reminds me that there was once a building back there, but I forget now what it was, and I am too lazy to look it up again.

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

These two photos definitely show how lighting makes the photo. Thanks for keeping them, and going after that evening glow!

Vicki Lane said...

The flowers are nice but oh! that shot of the heron in that gorgeous light. And the water and the textures!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Perhaps only two photos, but what delightful ones. Maybe black-eyed Susans, maybe a Rudbeckia, and the lovely heron. I do like the light in both.

William Kendall said...

That heron is a beauty. I spotted a couple on the way back from southern Ontario last night on Highway 7 between Tweed and Carleton Place.

Marie Smith said...

Love the shot of the flowers.

Haddock said...

For me too..... I too feel that something is incomplete when the number of photographs are less in a post.
And yes........ it's always nice to capture a heron.

Mage said...

Love the light behind the flowers. And the stones behind the bird are something we don't see here. I like it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The lighting behind the flowers was terrific and definitely wirth going back to capture and only two photos this post was a bit disappointing😉

Jenny Woolf said...

Looks like an idyllic spot in the evening light, and I liked the picture of the flowers very much, it had that air you sometimes get of flower pictures of the 1950s.

MARY G said...

Mastering light! The heron really pops, too.,

Jenn Jilks said...

This iPad will drive me to distraction, but I made it!
I really like Riverwalk, good you made it on the bike. We really should sell ours...

Doris Potter said...

Sorry for the late comment. I absolutely love the first photo! The composition, colour and exposure are wonderful!