Saturday, July 06, 2019

Celtfest Friday Night

It's 8:40AM. BY about noon, we'll be at Cerltfest until 10PM. It will be a long day but hopefully a good one. Another hope is that it won't be too hot or too rainy, both of which occurred last night. Fortunately, the rain fell in the intermission between the two acts. Also fortunately, the temperature did improve somewhat after the rain.

But I was up early this morning, so I've had some time to sort through some photos from last night. There were two bands: Les Rats d'Swompe and the Mudmen. Les Rats were the first group, another excellent French Canadian Celtic band. We've had at least two others in the past few years. They've all been excellent with a certain joie de vivre.

I think you can catch some of their joy in this photo. That fiddler jumped and bounced all night. You can see him off the floor in the photo.



A couple and their kids were really into the concert and danced and twirled. I caught these two photos of the dad and his girl.




I know from past experience that the best, or at least more dramatic, photos occur as darkness falls and we get more lighting contrast and effect. So, I am happier with the Mudmen photos, of whom I will present a few now.

The two piper brothers were kilted, which is always fun to see. I was glad when the group coalesced for a few minutes, so I could get a photo of the whole group — apart from the drummer that is.



The drummer was quite impressive with his expressions way in the background. I took any number of photos. This was an early one with a slow shutter speed (unintentional) that caught movement of the sticks. He was bathed in blue light, which can be an effect, but I decided this one should be in b&w.



One of the pipers close up.



Near the end of the night, the other piper spotted a young girl doing the floss, so he brought her up on stage, and she performed happily.



It was a good night and start to Celtfest 2019.

In case you might want a taste of these groups I am embedding a clip of each.






6 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad to see you're having fun...some night life and listening to live music is always special!

Marie Smith said...

Great coverage of opening night, AC.

Loved the Mudmen! Top tapping!

William Kendall said...

Sounds like you're having fun!

Kay said...

Good gracious! That's a lot of energy. Thank you for sharing the happiness.

Shammickite said...

Oh now I want to go to Celtfest. I think those 2 pipers in Mudmen get up early to toss the caber before breakfast just to warm up.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's good to be a Celt, and it's good just to love the music. Hooray for the dad dancing with his girl.