Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Red be the Lilies

Our neighbours suggested that I take a few pics of her very red lilies.

Easier said than done.

On my first visit, I decided that it was too windy. My second visit was early morning but too late still, for the harsh sun was directly upon them, and they showed no depth. On my third visit in the evening, they were flat in deep shadow. Besides that, the mosquitoes quickly drove me away. But they were of such a colour that I determined not to give up.

Fourth Visit: I determined to return even earlier in the morning to catch some low and gentle sunlight. Alas there was none, but I went regardless (it's only across the street) and took some shots. Red is a tough colour, photographically speaking, but with a little gentle persuasion, I got the colour to look more or less right to my eyes. Perhaps I will try again if I get the right early morning sun, but that may not happen before they fade, so I have something to show the neighbours.







Whilst there, I took a few more photos of other flowers in the garden.





This final one, below, was actually my first shot. The flower was sticking through the fence, so I thought it was worth a snap.


10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Most of these are prize winners. Thank so much for sharing.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

You are nothing if not persistent! And it was worth it. I wish I had those red lilies in my garden!

Marie Smith said...

Love those red ones. Just fabulous flowers and photos.

Mara said...

We have several lilies in our garden, but they don't look anywhere near as nice as those in your neighbour's!

Mage said...

I like that first shot. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

Her flowers are lovely, and the red is covetable. The rose bud is a sweet little thing, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your persistence paid off very well. The red lilies are spectacular, AC. Your neighbor should be very pleased with the results. Also, Grenville asked me to thank you for the birthday greetings, which were much appreciated.

MARY G said...

Photo 3 of the lilies, for me. Splendid. did you play with the gamma to get th red or spectrum. Nice.

Anvilcloud said...

Mary. Gamma isn’t in my vocabulary. I did use hue and saturation to get the red to where I thought should be (or was when I saw it).

Jenn Jilks said...

You do so well with your photos. My eyes are just a mess and making me irritable!