Friday, September 13, 2024

AC's Buying Spree and Sue's Pantyhose Lessons

I was seized by a virus this week – the shopping virus! It came on suddenly and unexpectantly. 

I don't know what came over me, but I ordered these items, and behold! they were delivered unto me: a toque (hat), shoes and socks.

The socks are ski socks. I do not ski. The shoes are runner, but I runneth not. The hat is of the type that I do not habitually don upon my pate.

So, what gives?

First I clicked on a FB link for Smartwool. I wondered if they had long socks. Eventually, I drilled down to a pair of ski socks, and lo I didst purchase them


You see, due to some neuropathy (I don't know, but that is what I am calling it), I have cold spots on my shins. So it is that I like to keep them covered in winter, even in the house under long pants. I have some long socks, but the best ones are getting very old, and I have had a deuce of a time finding good new ones. 

So it was that I opted to spend a small fortune on these socks.

From a different site, Merrill, I purchase running shoes. I get email from Merrill and constantly check their shoes, looking for something colourful. As you know, I don't run. As you also know, even walking can be problematic. But running shoes are comfortable for my miserable feet, and over the past five years or so, I have grown to like a splashy look on my tootsies.

So there you have it: ski socks for a non-skier and runners for a non-runner. I didn't really need new shoes at the moment, but I will need a new pair for next year, and the sale price and the look were right for me, so I purchased them now.

The hat was a throw-in. To get free shipping on the shoes, I needed to spend a few extra bucks, so I ended up with the toque. Even though I don't wear them often because I favour my jaunty caps, they're good to wear when I am clearing snow or some such, I have had a heckuva problem finding toques that don't want to eject themselves from my head (see link at the bottom), and I think that this toque will do the trick.

Isn't it all just so awesome‽


Just another word about the socks before I leave you in peace. It's just that Sue has been giving me lessons in how to put them on. I gotta tell ya, that I have managed to don my socks up until now in my long life, so why do I need lessons?

Let me splain. They are a very tight fit, and ole AC has trouble getting them on straight. So Dear Sue has been giving me lessons from her pantyhose days.

What she tells me to do is to roll the tops right down to the foot part and to get my foot in and aligned before I begin to roll the socks up to past my calves.

I am still working on my technique, and I think I am getting it. Who knew that I would someday use a lady's pantyhose technique to get myself dressed?


===================

A post from last winter about my toque attempting to dislodge itself from my head.

My first two pairs of colourful shoes. There has been one more red pair since then.

25 comments:

DJan said...

You might try HOKA shoes, they are the most comfy I have ever worn.

Ed said...

Although I don't know if they come quite as tall as yours, I am sold on Darn Tough Socks. As far as I know, they are the only socks to come with a lifetime guarantee and in the 15 years I've been wearing the same six pairs, I've not yet developed a hole to attempt to claim a new pair through the guarantee. Before I found them, I could maybe get a year out of any sock before it was tossed in the trash.

I'm like you with shoes, if I find ones I like and are comfortable, I'll order a couple pairs in advance. Shoe models seem like they change so often that when I go to reorder, the old model is no longer available. I have a pair of Hokas but don't like them for comfort. My wife swears by them. My go to lately has been Sketchers for walking shoes but I do have a pair of Merrills for hiking.

Marie Smith said...

The shoes look great! Shopping is not my favourite thing but new outdoor wear is a nice incentive!

DrumMajor said...

Love all of your new items. Linda in Kansas

Barbara Rogers said...

I was just thinking how I have one pair of sneakers. Why should I have more? I do have another pair of walking shoes. I like SmartWool socks, but haven't liked the long socks I have for a while. Probably because they only go so far up my calves, and not as far as they're supposed to...maybe my calves are extra large these days! So happy you've got fun shoes. Enjoy!

Sandra said...

Thank you for giving me a laugh! I really like those colorful shoes, they match the personality of the wearer.

gigi-hawaii said...

Those shoes are so beautiful. I really like them.

Granny Sue said...

I laughed so hard at that title! All good things, AC. Wise purchases. I have a pair of very battered Merrills that I wear when gardening. Sturdy shoes. But boy, I might need a pair like yours!

RedPat said...

Love the shoes.
The house I showed would probably go for at least a few million depending on how much renovation has been done. It is crazy out there.

DB Stewart said...

As they say now, those shoes are fire. Thumbs way up.

Celia said...

Ah shoes or socks that really fit for sure grab extras. Smart.

roentare said...

Speaking of self-indulgence, I just put 20k USD into a mobile game

peppylady (Dora) said...

What cool shoes

Joanne Noragon said...

Those are my kinda shoes.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

A very entertaining post. Thanks for the chuckles! I can so relate. One click shopping is just too darn tempting and easy! An somehow they magically set prices so you always need one more item for free shipping.

Liz Hinds said...

I love those shoes! Will tight socks be good for your legs? Won't they cut off circulation and make them colder?

Jeanie said...

Very snazzy shoes. I love them. So snappy looking and fun. What a great purchase. Can't go wrong with smart wool. They cost a fortune but they hold up well. And they're very comfy! (Why does the hat not surprise me?!)

jabblog said...

Great purchases! The shoes are ace and must make you smile every time you catch sight of them. Socks are a serious business in this house and much dosh is spent by himself on finding just the right ones. I wear them sometimes, too, and approve the expenditure.

Anvilcloud said...

Good question. I mainly have to keep air off those cold spots, so they’ll work well, and they won’t fall down. 👌

Val Ewing said...

I got some Trail Runners in bright colors this spring from Merrill for hiking and walking. They are amazing for my tired feet!
Also, the pantyhose technique works well. I've had to use that in helping my MIL put on her compression socks as well as those for hubby.
And...I only wear tall socks unless I am at the gym.
Short socks and I don't get along. When hiking, too much stuff can get into your shoes!
I have smartwool socks for winter also.
:)

Anvilcloud said...

Long socks and colourful Merrell shoes, we must be kindred spirits. 😎

Margaret said...

Those are excellent purchases! I wear Keens but may check out the Merrills since my Keens aren't holding up well. (wearing on the backs of my heels)

Kay said...

Sigh... I have diabetic neuropathy on my feet so the doctor told me to always wear shoes when I'm walking on hot sand at the beach or pavement or whatever. I LOVE your shoes! That's so much fun! My Kansas nurse blog buddy told me how to put on those compression socks too.

NGS said...

I am pretty obsessed with tall Smartwool socks for winter. They are amazing1

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You did have a bit of shopping fun, AC, and the Sue’s info on how to put the socks on was something women know and now so do more men😀