Monday, September 23, 2024

KD

Seen on Threads

is kraft mac and cheese called kraft dinner in canada? i’ve read two books in a row now that call it that and it makes me giggle

The answer, of course, is Yes

I did not know that everyone didn't call it this. It has even been shortened to KD.


Some comments to the original post on Threads

Yup.
Kraft Dinner.
Or just KD
And honestly, we giggle when someone calls it "kraft mac and cheese", because we know they arent Canadian.

Yes, and I didn't know it was called mac and cheese elsewhere, so whenever people said that phrase (without kraft) I just assumed they meant the kind of proper, home baked comfort food

Yes; has always been called Kraft dinner on the box; now it’s just referred to as KD. Powder chemicals isn’t cheese; not sure why the USA allows people to think it is….

Bare Naked Ladies “If I had a Million Dollars.”

Yes that’s what it is called here - it’s a favourite meal for poor college students
Threads can be a fun place to visit. While any form of social media can get a little bit toxic, for the most part it is lighter and gentler than Twitter, which I refuse to call by that other, silly name.

So waddaya tink a dem noodles? Eh?

Just so you know, Danica says that my macaroni dish is the only one that she will eat apart from Kraft Dinner because I make it with real cheese. It was a light recipe to begin with, calling for a cup of light cheddar and another of lean Farmers cheese. I can't find the latter anymore, so I just use two cups of regular cheddar, or sometimes a mix with mozzarella. It also calls for a cup of cottage cheese which I stick with. So although I have adapted it a bit, it's still a somewhat light recipe and is one of my standby recipes.



12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We always called it Kraft dinner. Mac and cheese was the home made variety…so much better in every way!

Val Ewing said...

We called it Mac & Cheese, but I don't make it anymore at all. If hubby wants Mac & Cheese I make it with different cheeses, my kids loved noodles and melted Swiss Cheese which I thought odd, but they did.

roentare said...

Mac & Cheese can be so addictive here

Jeanie said...

Well, I had no idea. I love it and rarely have it -- feels a little dangerous!

Ed said...

Maybe once every three or four years, I'll get a hankering for my childhood and make a box of it with hotdogs cut up in it. I only buy the ones that come with the pouch of liquid cheese and not the powdered form. But anymore than that would probably be lethal.

Jenn Jilks said...

When I was really ill, Joe could make this for me! It took me back to the old days.

Sandra said...

Minnesota is a first cousin of Canada, but it is Kraft Mac & Cheese. The Canadian name is more accurate.

Anvilcloud said...

I think Minnesota and Canadian accents are pretty similar. Am I wrong?

Barbara Rogers said...

Never heard of KD, and always heard as Mac & Cheese. The knock-offs even say something similar. It's not a whole dinner, after all. But now that you think of it, where's the cheese? My granddaughter grew up with a microwave variety in a little cup of mac & cheese, unknown brand. Whatever it's called, it's good eating.

gigi-hawaii said...

I just call it Mac and Cheese, so I am not Canadian. It's one of those dishes I don't like.

jabblog said...

We call it macaroni cheese, though I notice. Mac and Cheese is creeping in.

Cloudia said...

Sounds like you make a fabulous authentic macaroni and cheese! Thanks for bringing this to my attention which I was not aware of. I I'm eating Kraft, macaroni and cheese but my brother in Edmonton is eating KD! Who knew? Aloha