Friday, September 06, 2024

Lobster Sandwiches

I posted about memorable pizzas not long ago, and one or two other bloggers have since posted of their memorable foods.

That led me to thinking of the lobster sandwiches that we had in Cape Breton. I don't think we were super impressed by the sandwich, but it was a memorable experience in itself and part of a memorable trip.

This was before blogs although I did later blog about it in a site that is long gone. What a pity that I can't find the source files anywhere, Nor can I find the photos. Doubtless, all went poof in some sort of past computer meltdown. I do recall some sort of catastrophe in '02 or '03.

I did recapitulate here some of the trip in a post here in 2009 but original documents have vanished or are, at the very least, deeply hidden. If you click the 2009 post, you will also see that most of the photos are extant.

This is what I wrote in 2009. As you will read, I was impressed by the event, the site and the people whom we met.

One thing I had wanted to do, after reading about it in a travel book, was to purchase a lobster sandwich on the Cabot Trail and to eat it by the ocean. We were able to make such a purchase in Big Intervale (or perhaps Cape North). In the same store, we met a lady from Cheticamp who had lived on the next street over from Cuppa’s parents in Toronto. The Disney folks are right; it is a small world after all. She recommended that we take our sandwiches to Black Brook Cove and have a picnic lunch there. Always follow the advise of locals. It was a remarkable spot, and we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch in what must surely be a little, Way Cool! foretaste of heaven.

 ========================

Wait wait wait!!! Something clicked, and I found what was once an online webpage buried on my computer. At one point, I had my own independent blog. I had made it from scratch all on my own and didn't use either Blogger or Wordpress templates. Here's a snapshot of how the page would have originally appeared. And that is I, eating at the picnic table at Black Cove. 


Another linked memory: back then, D2 was touring Scotland, and I fancied we were looking toward her across the little pond known as the Atlantic Ocean.


21 comments:

Ed said...

First thing in the morning and already I'm hungry!

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm impressed that you set up your own blog page! And also that you pulled together a photo to remind us of the good time you had, and a special memory. The lobster rolls may or may not have been special, but a good key to keep track of the memory. Mmm, I don't think my memory of events has many foods for keys to remember them...more likely the sites where they took place.

DrumMajor said...

Had a lobster roll in Boston. Bleck! They ruined perfectly good lobster by smothering it in mayo. And I like mayo. Not too many lobsters in Kansas. Linda

jabblog said...

A lovely spot indeed. It's so annoying when things we know we have 'somewhere' cannot be tracked down, so I'm glad you found yours.

Sandra said...

Photographer. Webpage designer. Storyteller. Probably more. I've never had a lobster roll.

RedPat said...

I don't really have any super food memories but I like reading about yours.

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful spot for sure!

MARY G said...

Totally impressed that you turned up the original. I had a virus that ate a whole year of my photos and since then I have copied and filed. But the filing system is a mess. yeah.
BTW, do you know anyone out my way who would like to join a photography group, very small and informal, at Watson's?

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Pretty cool that you had your own independent blog, and nice photo of you looking out over the pond!

roentare said...

Old photo brings back memories

Jeanie said...

So are so right -- it is the experience. (But a lobster sandwich is nothing to sneeze about either!)

Marcia said...

I tried the lobster roll at Panera and was disappointed. No taste to the lobster. Same experience in Halifax at a resataurant with rave reviews - disappointing lobster roll.

DB Stewart said...

Nice spot. Anywhere in the Maritimes (or Scotland), I always go for the fish & chips. There's nothing better, imo. If you'd like to revisit Cape Breton through the eyes of some locals, check out Davy & Sky on YouTube. They're delightful.

Red said...

Well, that's quite the story about an original blog and something hidden in it. You could write a history of the development of blogging.

Margaret said...

I wish I liked lobster. Or maybe I don't since it's terribly expensive. My fond memories of food revolve around the holidays mostly.

Vicki Lane said...

A beautiful spot for a picnic. I ADORE lobster rolls and have memories of eating them in Maine--all sorts from on a simple hot dog bun to on a croissant. And they were all good. I've made them at home as a birthday treat, using frozen lobster meat.

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't have lobster enough. I like them broiled and served with melted butter and a wedge of lemon.

Liz Hinds said...

Sounds ideal!

Cloudia said...

Such a beautiful and refreshing post to read, especially after the current comments off one.. I just wanted to say about today's post that I appreciate your honesty. You have my respect, admiration, and best wishes on your health journey. It is illuminating to me to understand what other people are facing. My grandmother used to say that if everyone on the block brought their troubles to the curb to trade, everyone would go home with their own. Wishing you a satisfying weekend!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Although we live in New England, where “lobstah” is prominent, I have it so infrequently as the cost of a lobster roll is often equivalent to that of an actual meal.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like recording visits here and there. It is terrific to go back.
It's the same with our health issues. It is good to write it out, come to terms with it, and register progress, or no progress.
That said, Joe is on PART CXIV of his prostate cancer journey. I can look back at photos, and figure out how we managed each MRI or scan. All the best.