Monday, September 09, 2024

Cool and Windy Photo Walk

It went down to 6.5C/44F on Saturday night, so it wasn't exactly hot when we went out for Sunday morning photos. And it was windy too.

Sue had her photo thing to do, so I put my telephoto lens on and decided to take little photos, for it wasn’t the day for grand scenes. I decided that I would concentrate on bits of architecture, at least initially. I also thought that I would likely then convert into b&w because it was a pretty drab day. That is what I did except for the people photos that came later.

This was the first capture: just textures, but of what?


Here is the context, or some of it: a boarded up window on an old building. You have seen the whole building before in other posts, but I didn't take those kinds of photos this time out.


That window was on the side of the building, but here is a back door, almost lost in the foliage. Once again, I was drawn by the textures.


An old mill is almost adjacent, and it is slowly being converted into condos: very slowly, I might add. There was a tractor nearby, but I chose to just include the arm as an interesting and odd element.


Later, I did vary my subjects by photographing water over the rocks in a very mini waterfall as I looked down from the trail bridge.


At one point I took a very long distance photo of Sue. The faint colours on the lower part of the photo  are from shooting through the foliage that was much closer to the camera. It was deliberate.


Does Sue look like she was shivering in the cold?


I took one more photo of Sue taking a photo of a patch of leaves that was already turning colour.


I should have broken this into two posts, but it's too late to turn back now, so I present photos by Sue of me.


I look like I am on a grumpy grampy prowl in this next and final photo. It's the way that I sometimes look, but it is not how I mostly am. It reminds me of photos or videos of cats walking toward the camera; they look pretty darn serious with a "Don't mess with me vibe."


And that was our Sunday shoot, or mine at least. For the most part, Sue was targetting different subjects. 


19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Love those early morning walks. That was a cold morning though!

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a cold one! Good work, though.

Ed said...

The forecast for us, way down south, was 40F for the same night. I don't know if it reached it or not but I do know I broke out a long sleeved shirt for church on Sunday morning.

Sandra said...

What you said about cats was what I was thinking just before I read that sentence. I have a cat who usually looks like she would just as soon turn you into lunch as look at you. I like the photos and I like seeing stylish Sue. She does look a little bit cold.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes Sue must have been shivering. I prefer the other shot of her shooting the leaves...and you also look a bit cold.

tz_garden said...

Sue does look cold, and smart in her cape! I think I tend to look grumpier than I really am as I get older :).

Margaret said...

You do look like a cat on the prowl! (for photos) Whenever there's a test of what something is from a close up, I can never figure it out. I thought it was tree bark!

Marcia said...

We were shivering outside too yesterday. The cold surprised us.

MARY G said...

Supposed to be warmer today. I am wearing a sweater and waiting. I love the long lens shot, the second last one. Iconic AC.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting photo essay. Those are incredible lens!

RedPat said...

I like your texture shots. It certainly was surprisingly cold yesterday and windy down here.

DB Stewart said...

Your "don't mess with me vibe" looks classic Canadian to me too, as in I need to warm up now.

roentare said...

You are reminding the nice photo walk in the nature

Debby said...

It got chilly pretty quickly here as well. Our leaves have started to change as well.

Joanne Noragon said...

I've turned on the heat in my apartment. Only a week past Labor Day!

Cloudia said...

Hi Sue! Enjoyable seeing you both. Hope you feel tolerable.... Aloha

Jeanie said...

Love that photo of you with the camera and Sue on the bridge. Looks like a fun day out.

Val Ewing said...

Fantastic textures in black and white! I'm glad you shared them all.
I have caught myself on the trail cam walking through our woods and I look like a grumpy old wood sprite. I'm sure it looks like a scowl, when it isn't one!

Granny Sue said...

Nice to see you have your camera out again! I like those texture photos. And the last one of you is pretty classic. Sue looks gorgeous.