Thursday, September 05, 2024

A Minute Minute

I knew what a homonym was (and is): two different words that are spelled differently and mean something different but that sound the same. Prey/Pray is an example.

But I couldn't think what we call two words that are spelled the same but sound different and mean something different.

It came about because I was thinking of a minute minute for some reason: in which the first minute is a synonym of tiny and the second minute is a unit of time. Phonetically, it would be my-noot min-it. At least that's how Google first told me to pronounce minute (as in small). As a Canadian, however, I would pronounce the first minute more like my-nyoote. Perhaps not all Canadians say it my way because I am very strongly influenced by my British ancestry, and that is how they say it – more or less anyway.

Back to the topic, minute and minute are what are known as homographs.

Now I know. But long will I know or at least remember?

I can't quite recall what set me on the minute minute question, but that is of minute importance at this particular minute.



19 comments:

Boud said...

That one is a trap for foreign speakers. Yet another.

Marie Smith said...

I couldn’t think of homograph either. I may have remembered it next week.

Ed said...

I would advise you to keep posting these posts with advice. Perhaps you can make them a serial post that I can read over my bowl of cereal.

DJan said...

I just learned something. Never heard of that word before.

Barbara Rogers said...

There are frequent posts of the fun of the English language on Facebook. I laugh and seldom remember what I read. Glad to know about homo-graphs.

Marcia said...

As I read your post I couldn't remember either what those two words were. Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Debby said...

as opposed to homophones like our and hour or homonyms like second and second.

tz_garden said...

This made me laugh, I just wondered this morning "how much forgetfulness is normal for my age?"

Margaret said...

Minute minute, so confusing. I just discovered that for 68 years I've been mis-pronouncing the name of my city. I say Pew ALL up whereas the preferred pronunciation is Pew AL up. Will I change? Probably not.

Vicki Lane said...

If I ever knew that wors, I'd forgotten it. Thanks!

PipeTobacco said...

Yes, homonyms are fun. We, in my region also tend to say “my-nyoot” for the first word.

PipeTobacco

roentare said...

Yes, Prey and Pray sound the same but mean so differently. This is interesting.

Red said...

Well, you learn something every day. I had never heard of homograph.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good research, and puns!

Granny Sue said...

Had not heard that term. I was thinking homonyms but guess that's wrong.

jabblog said...

I try to remember it as 'nym = name' and 'graph = draw/write' - I did say *try* 😂

Sandra said...

I think I have forgotten already!

MARY G said...

My scrambled brain tried to give me 'antonym', which is wrong. BTW, just to make your day, Mirriam Webster says this: " Homophones are words that sound the same but are different in meaning or spelling. Homographs are spelled the same, but differ in meaning or pronunciation. Homonyms can be either or even both. To help remember, think of the etymology: homophones have the same sound (the Greek phonos), homographs have the same spelling (Greek graphein), and homonym comes from the Greek word meaning "name" (onyma).

Val Ewing said...

Awesome. That is something I don't think I have ever thought about much except when trying to spell those two words that are exactly the same.