Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Photo Variations

I have been roaming around in old photo folders recently. One day I found myself in July 2018. This photo jumped out at me, for I had recalled it recently. Sue and I had been to an outlook spot along the river, and I told her that I had a photo showing a big rock in the stream: a rock that is no longer visible, or perhaps the river is just running higher these days and covering the rock.

I already had a previously previously edited photo of this subject, but I had taken more more than one picture at the time, so I edited a different one than I did six years ago. This is the new edit.


I liked the photo then, and I like it now, but then I decided to experiment with the Adamski effect where one applies a motion blur. 

I made two versions, one with the rock removed and one with the rock remaining. 



As I understand it, we are supposed to use the second method with a foreground object in its original detail with the Adamski effect, but I like the version without the rock too. In fact, I like all three variations.


20 comments:

Granny Sue said...

I do believe I like the last one best, AC. It is interesting about that rock. I wonder why it is covered now?

Val Ewing said...

Each has there artistic wonders. The long exposure without the rock feels like an abstract and beautiful painting while the one with the rock grounds it.
Beautiful work. The colors are just perfect.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

If you were to make me chose, it would be 3,1,2. Although you are right, all three are stunning!

Marie Smith said...

I like all three too. Great photos!

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the first, though on my screen the edges going to black seem a bit dark (maybe just my brightness setting). With that effect you've moved from representational to artistic interpretation. The last one is nice but for me I see a rock floating in colors. Hey rocks could maybe do that!

Jeanie said...

I agree. I like them all!

Sandra said...

I like them all. I wouldn't want to choose.

Margaret said...

I like the 1st and last ones!

MELODY JACOB said...

It’s amazing how a fresh perspective on old photos can reveal new artistic possibilities! The Adamski effect adds such a unique motion to the image. It’s interesting to see the contrast between the versions with and without the rock. Each variation brings its own mood and story to the scene. It’s great that you’re exploring different techniques and enjoying the results!

Just posted a new blog update! I'd love for you to check it out and share your thoughts. Your feedback means a lot! https://www.melodyjacob.com

DrumMajor said...

Rock probably rolled on down the river? Linda in Kansas

RedPat said...

I like the last version with the rock best.

Barwitzki said...

This is due to the calmness of the picture, it is totally relaxing, especially because of the stillness of the water surface and the reflection in the evening... wonderful. The stone gives the whole thing a place to pause.
So beautiful.
Thanks.
Kind regards to you.
Viola

Debby said...

I am going to be the weirdo here. I like the first. The clouds are wonderful. That being said, the last two pictures look very mystical.

roentare said...

I like the last one the best

Red said...

I like the second last photo without the rock. It looks lighter as in weight???

Jenny the Pirate said...

I like all three too, very much. My favorite would have to be the first one but they are all stunning. I love doing new edits to an old photo, especially one I had forgotten about! xoxo

Joanne Noragon said...

Fun to play around, and no darkroom necessary.

Liz Hinds said...

I like them but think I like the original best though.

Jenn Jilks said...

I enjoy your projects!

MARY G said...

I had not heard of this technique. Thank you. Lesson with value as usual. And, we do have high water this year. All that rain. But it should not have that much of a rise.