Friday, August 23, 2024

Memorable Pizzas

When Vicki posted of specific memories with food, I thought of pizzas: three specific pizzas.

We had a good youth group at our church in the mid-sixties. We often went out together, and one Sunday night after church, we went to a pizza place that, I think, may have been called Vesuvius.

Perhaps I hadn't been exposed to pizza very often because I didn't have my first one until I was 15, but this particular pizza seemed spectacular. If I had it now, I am not sure how it would stack up, but it was great on that Sunday night, out with the church youth. I am not even sure who was in the group that night, but I remember the pizza.

I had my second memorable pizza on our first anniversary. We had ordered pizza to our motel room in Stratford on our wedding night. I don't remember that pizza being special although the night was pretty memorable.

We've had pizza almost every anniversary since then, but that first anniversary dish was really good. We had been drawn to the place, Sir Pizza, because one of Sue's bosses had invested in it. That pizza was so good that we ordered again sometime later. We were disappointed, so that was that.

In 1998, just after New Year, perhaps even on New Years Day, but I forget exactly, we took both daughters across province to Ottawa. The youngest was going for a semester work coop, and the oldest, Shauna, was going with her in search of work.

I drove a U-Haul truck, also pulling a car on a dolly all the way. Including a two-hour stop in Waterloo to gather Allyson's belongings, it was a 14 hour trip. The last half of the journey was in terrible snowy conditions as we passed various cars who had run off into the ditch. I was not a truck driver, but somehow I managed to drive that miserable truck-plus-car to the girls' new apartment in Ottawa.

Shauna asked a neighbour across the hall for a recommendation for a good pizza place and returned with a recommendation for House of Pizza. It was close to their new apartment, so we ordered. It was sooo good, and it wasn't just because the day had been horrendous, for it was really a most excellent pizza. We had it several times afterward when we visited the girls in Ottawa, and it was always scrumptious.

One of the times was in 2001. We had stopped in Ottawa after driving home from the Maritimes. We picked up from House of Pizza and drove to a park by the Ottawa River. As we sat there enjoying the food and the pleasant day, flock after flock of Canada Geese took off flying into the wild blue yonder. It was a most glorious sight. 

Not everyone will think of pizza when they think of memorable food, but we are pretty plain folk, and that is what came to my mind.


25 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

I love pizza and used to eat it weekly. But, because of high cholesterol, I don't eat it anymore. Or very sparingly.

Marcia said...

What memories! Maybe it needs to be a pizza night tonight!

Ed said...

As much of a foodie as I am, I should have a list a mile long of memorable food but really don't. The only one that comes to mind is the bowl of lobster chowder I had along the waterfront somewhere along the coast of Maine once. I still dream about it occasionally.

DJan said...

Well, that made me hungry, all right.

Patio Postcards said...

Pizza is my most favourite food. I think one of our most memorable pizzas was in Barbados, a little beach side shack; sizing was small, medium & ridiculous.

Val Ewing said...

It is pretty great when a particular food can be matched with a good memory.

Barbara Rogers said...

I remember one pizza especially...with shrimp on it! I was maybe 18 or 19, and on a date in Alton IL, having come from my little private college. I still love shrimp but don't think I've had it on pizza for years.

Sandra said...

The memorable pizza is connected to memorable times. I don't think I could name a memorable food.

Debby said...

If I were to ask Tim for his most memorable meal, I'm going to guess that he would come up with something homemade. I know that it would feature mashed potatoes. I guess that if I was going to guess anything, I'd say curry. When I visited my daughter, I ate a lot of curry, and it was wonderful no matter where we ate it. The flavors were so exotic and uncommon, and I was in a new place with new sights and sounds.

Vicki Lane said...

Pizza is a kind of comfort food. My husband makes it fairly often (when the weather's cool.) My favorites of his are: 1. bacon, roasted tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan. and 2. Spinach, caramelized onions, mushrooms, blue cheese, and mozzarella.

Karen said...

My sister and I love a cold slice for breakfast. We grew up in an alcoholic household where it wasn't unusual to find a passed out parent and a cold pizza in the refrigerator in the morning. Surprisingly, we both prefer our pizza that way. I can't quote the name of the pizza joint because we weren't buying it, and I haven't lived in that town for over 50 years.

Anvilcloud said...

@Karen. I also like cold pizza, and I usually have one slice that day the next day.

Margaret said...

I associate pizza with parties since it's often served at festive occasions. Good memories! (even when the pizza isn't that great)

Should Fish More said...

I liked pizza well enough growing up, and occasionally as an adult. It was never memorable though. But when I went to Italy and had pizza Margherita the first time, I was blown away. I lived in Europe for a year, and after coming back I've only been disappointed when trying the American version.

Granny Sue said...

Good memories, AC. You have inspired me to write my own food memories post. Maybe tomorrow.

RedPat said...

I love this post and your stories. Thanks. I love pizza!

Jenn Jilks said...

What memories! I have driven all over the province for my three kids. A snow storm is difficult, though.

peppylady (Dora) said...

One of the food I had when I was later in life was a hostess ding dong.

Red said...

You really remember pizza. I do not remember the first pizza I ate. But I like pizza.

roentare said...

I also discovered a pizza shop whose owner came from Napoli Italy. The pizza is so exquisite and beautiful

Joanne Noragon said...

My sister's summer pizzas were memorable. The toppings were veggies from our garden. Whatever was in season. Grest.

Jeanie said...

I loved these stories. Like you, I don't remember the pizzas so much as the experiences with them. Those matter so much!

Liz Hinds said...

It's unusual to get a bad pizza.

tz_garden said...

I really like your pizza stories. I can relate, and you've made me crave a slice or two!

MARY G said...

Laughing. I discovered pizza as an adolescent and when I got my driver's licence our group used to go to a place called 'Mario's' in Windsor. Loved their pies, one of which had bacon in it. I had a good friend who came from a strict Jewish home, and he loved that pizza, but made me swear not to reveal to his mother what he was eating. I never did, but it is a joke that has lasted over sixty years... threat of telling his mom on him if ... whatever.