Friday, August 09, 2024

Britishisms

British English seems so much richer and funner [sic] than North America English.

I much prefer whilst to while or whinge to whine, for example.

Sue and I laugh every time the sex act is referred to as getting your leg over, but isn't it just about perfect?

Then there is How's Your Father, which "derives from an old English music hall sketch or skit by the comedian Harry Tate. He'd be having a conversation, get tangled in a series of accidental double-entendres and innuendos and try to escape the tangle by asking, “How's your father?” as an innocuous social question."

Of course, in my life, I have only heard to refer to the sex act as in the second definition, below. I love it.


Speaking of the sex act, I have been reading some Victorian novels and love how they referred to it as congress. Isn't that so much better than "have sex?" 

I thought that I was done, but now I am remembering Inspector Morse, who poked fun at his young sergeant, Detective Lewis who would modestly refer to it as rumpy pumpy.

I'm sure that there are many more, but those are the ones that come to mind this morning.

19 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Ah Inspector Lewis, a favourite. I agree I'll take British English over Americanized language any day. I had not heard the expression about "How's Your Father" referring to sex, just the phrase to move an awkward conversation along.

Ed said...

Remind me not to ask a British woman about how her father is doing!

Boud said...

In Yorkshire we said while and despised Londoners who said whilst! In britspeak practically anything can mean sex -- it's all in the tone..

gigi-hawaii said...

Hilarious! Oh, I enjoyed this post!

Jeanie said...

Those are all good ones and now I have new words for my vocabulary! Rumpy pumpy cracks me up!

Sandra said...

Morse, I loved that series! Grumpy inspector. How's your father, haaaa!

RedPat said...

I had never heard of "how's your father" either. Like rumpy pumpy.

roentare said...

Congress as a reference to sex is so interesting to read

Margaret said...

I love those euphemisms. I'd heard of getting the leg over but not the others. I didn't watch much of Morse but did love Lewis. (in his own show)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoy many of the terms we have been hearing on British police procedurals and one of heard most often is half-past. Of course, there are many others but can't recall them right now.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Here's a few more: .knackered, chuffed, gobsmacked, at sixes and sevens

Red said...

All new to this naive prairie boy!

Vicki Lane said...

I love these! Especially 'getting a leg over.' British English is terrific.

Celia said...

I'd forgotten Inspector Morse's earstwhile Sergeant Lewis. Great Show.

Celia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val Ewing said...

I loved Inspector Lewis and recall that Rumpy Pumpy comment.
In our rural area we have a lot of odd little sayings too.

Liz Hinds said...

So many ways to describe sex!

Christina said...

I am still learning, after 24 years in the UK! I used to have a book with British phrases but I don't think this covered sex.

DB Stewart said...

These euphemisms are unfamiliar to me but quite hilarious.