Friday, December 22, 2023

They Lit the Cabin at the Mill

They lit the lights at the Mill of Kintail on the weekend and kept them on until last evening when we were finally able to visit. We were worried at first, for there were no lights at the 4:30 starting time, but about 10 minutes later a worker pulled in and began to get to work. After another 10 minutes, they were all finally on.

When I say all, it is because I was surprised by the number of lights. From social media posts, I knew that the little cabin would be lit, but I hadn't known about the cloister or the picnic pavilion or other lights.

So I ended up taking more photos that I had thought, but I have decided to just show the cabin today. I photographed the cabin from various angles in the order that you see. The first composition was most in my mind, and I think it's the best, but I like the third one too, and perhaps even more. I am not sure.




I did take other photos that I am sure that I will get to in future posts, but here's one that features the cabin but that also reveals a little more context. The cabin sits on the left and the cloister lies in the background.


I really enjoyed the outing. It was cold, and my hands were really feeling it after about 45 minutes, but it was good to get out on a photoshoot. Due largely to health problems, there hasn't been a lot of that this year, and I have been missing it. While I wish the snow had been deeper and certainly less trammeled, I was pleased that there was snow at all because there wasn't just a few days ago.


22 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

It's a really beautiful place with the lights and the snow.

Boud said...

I do love lights on dark days.

DB Stewart said...

Beauty: perfect lighting and just enough snow.

Marie Smith said...

I love the lights on these old structures. The snow completes the scene!

Margaret said...

They are somehow comforting pictures. I too like the first one best.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you could get out and enjoy and do some photography. You certainly had a magnificent subject! It's rather magical, isn't it?

Merry Christmas to you and Sue!

RedPat said...

These are all lovely and I think like you that I like the 1st one best.

Marcia said...

One really gets a Christmasy feeling seeing those lights.

My husband has finally come to realization that his shoulder is not getting better on its own. Now to get an appointment with an orthodedic surgeon. He is probably facing shoulder surgery in the new year. I told him about your sleeping in a recliner. He's staying in bed for now but wakes in pain.

Jenn Jilks said...

There is that, being grateful to get out and about!
These are all lovely. You do well.

MARY G said...

They are all to your usual high standard, but number three speaks to me the most - I like the way the lines go.
Looking forward to the others. And I hope your fingers are now back to an unfrozen state. Yay for pocket heating pods. We got some for the son-in-law at Marks and he loves them.

roentare said...

This cabin is lit like a fairy tale

DJan said...

I think it's gorgeous and your pictures are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them and I look forward to seeing more.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What a lovely old mill! The cabin looks beautiful with Christmas lights. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Catalyst said...

I'm not sure what it is but the first photo does it for me.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like the first photo.

Red said...

This is well worth photographing. It's not just a busy scene.

Barbara Rogers said...

Very nice subject, and yes, any amount of snow is better than none. Very pretty indeed.

Kay said...

That was fun! Thank you for the holiday cheer. I would like to wish you and your beautiful family a wonderful holiday season.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It is a beautiful scene and would also make a lovely holiday image, which perhaps you have already considered, AC. Glad that you were able to get out and enjoy a photo shoot and that Mother Nature cooperated with a bit of snow, cold hands are always the bain on winter photo excursions.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful lights!

Karen said...

Merry Christmas John and Sue

Granny Sue said...

The cabin is charming, and a reminder of Christmas in simpler times. The first photo looks like a Christmas card. Thank you for braving the cold. I know it must have felt good to get out there again to do a shoot.