Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Baptized into Winter

Winter has arrived with a bit of a bang — somewhat literally.


When I looked out the window yesterday morning, I saw that I had a little problem. You can see it if you look to the right of the garage roofline between the road and sidewalk. The street plows had  . . .  um . . . plowed us in. It got a little worse later after the sidewalk plow came by and added to the barrier.

Six days out of seven that wouldn't be a concern because we don't have to punch a clock to get anywhere. But I had a physio appointment at 9am for my torn rotator cuff and guys like me who are having physio for that little problem should not, I repeat not, be shovelling heavy snow. And that snow was heavy.

Sue contacted our driveway guys to see if they could be here by 8:30.

They could, and they arrived. They are very good that way.

When I looked out the window, I saw that the machine had stalled, so I finished getting dressed and went downstairs.

He was gone by the time I opened the garage door , but the job wasn't finished, and there was glass all over the driveaway. Neighbours reported that he had broken his windshield after, apparently, picking up one of the rocks that line our driveway. The rocks have been there for years without a problem, but the operator misjudged a little..

I stood by uselessly while Sue and two neighbour guys cleared the glass, and by the grace of my helpers, I made it to physio on time.

The therapist must have been feeling feisty because she proceeded to dig her vice-like fingers into my delicate shoulder most viciously. They say that this is good for me. Huh.

I survived her ministrations and was almost home when I thought to turn about and get a few provisions.

Silly me left his bags in the car. At the checkout I just dumped them back into the cart to bag at the car. At least it wasn't too cold to bag outside — just a little below freezing without much wind.

On the way home from the store, I stopped for this quick phone pic of the ice and snow clinging to the trees and bushes.


I would say that winter is most definitely here and that it baptized us very well on the first day of its true arrival.

===========================


Sue also took advantage of the snow for her daily prompt that was to show where her feet were at noon.





20 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay for getting provisions. Hope your shoulder feels better (except for bruises). Glad you had some help getting out of your driveway...what an experience! Thanks for photos...here is coolish (comparatively anyway) and dry dry dry.

DJan said...

No snow here but endless rain and flood watch. Nice of your driveway guys to help out. I hope he got his windshield fixed.

William Kendall said...

One suspects the snow is here for the duration.

Marcia said...

Snow missed us last night. How did Sue get those stars in her photo?

DrumMajor said...

Wow! Snow and glass don't usually mix. If it ever thaws, might want to check that driveway again. Snow removal guy didn't have a good start to his day. Linda in Kansas

Marie Smith said...

We had lots too. The driveway plow didn’t come by though. Bet he got lots of complaints from those coming home from work to snowy driveways. We stayed home!

gigi-hawaii said...

You should move to Hawaii. No snow and ice on our driveway.

MARY G said...

And we also losr our power. Yay winter.

Celia said...

I will quit complaining about our daily dose of fog and rain. Good for you scooping up supplies on the way back.

Margaret said...

Wow, what a pain--in more ways than one! Glad you got to your appointment and hope the PT helps. We are getting constant rain at the moment.

Boud said...

We don't expect snow for a while yet. One dusting a few miles away. But you seem to have started out with drama. What a morning.

Granny Sue said...

What a start to your day! You think I'm busy! Good grief, after a morning like that I hope you have your feet up and a warm drink at hand.
Yay for the physio, even though I know it hurts like crazy.

roentare said...

That looks cold!

RedPat said...

That sounds like one of those days to forget. No snow down here yet.

Catalyst said...

Ah, Arizona, how lovely that 67 degrees F. is today after reading of that snow in those Northern climes.

Red said...

That much snow is not nice at all. Even if you don't have a torn rotator cuff , it's not fun to shovel.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh dear, AC, that driveway situation??? How awful, all the glass and everything! If I were you, after the vice-like fingers of the therapist, I think I would have headed straight to Tim Horton's for a bag of donuts, then home for fuzzy clothes and warmth and sweet treats! Mercy! I like your icy trees photo, and Sue's feet pic ... xoxo

peppylady (Dora) said...

Rain been taken our snow. I'm sure they will be more rounds coming though.
I like the first photo.
Coffee is on.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm a little behind in reading.
That is rough, the breakage. It will come to us needing to be plowed out. The blower worked for me this week, though.
Take care.

Jeanie said...

So glad you could get out to your appointment after the snow. I always try to set afternoon or late morning appointments in the winter for that "just in case" mode!