Monday, December 25, 2023

An Unexpected and Delightful Christmas Memory

I swear that I was not going to post on this Christmas Day, but after seeing this photo on FB, I feel compelled. It is the Christmas train right inside the Eaton's department store in Montreal, 1957.


By 1957, I likely would have considered myself too old, for I probably would have ridden it in the early 50s. In fact, the experience was completely gone from my memory from then until now. All these years later, I feel the stirrings of something wonderful and almost magical. On FB, others remember it better as travelling through several Christmassy rooms and getting a little gift at the end, but all I can conjure is a warm, nostalgic feeling.

While I am here, I might as well post a few images for our Christmas, which, as you know, we celebrated early.







14 comments:

Catalyst said...

You're a handsome couple in FRONT of the camera! That pose of Sue is what Judy is *supposed* to be doing with her leg.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh you all are so photogenic! Great to see you having a good time together.

Granny Sue said...

You two look great! Enjoy your quiet today.

gigi-hawaii said...

Merry Christmas to you, Sue, and family! Aloha from Hawaii.

Jenn Jilks said...

Merry Christmas! See you on the other side!

William Kendall said...

Merry Christmas!

RedPat said...

Merry Christmas.

Cloudia said...

Bless you my photogenic friend! I suspect I'm a year or two younger than yourself, but yes, those small ride-on trains were all the rage at the time, including down the eastern seaboard where I lived outside of Philadelphia. Wishing you all the best! Thank you for your always Interesting comments. Makes me glad that you enjoy the small poetry. Aloha!

roentare said...

Merry Xmas!

MARY G said...

Christmas magic was a huge department store in Detroit, with a whole floor,of Christmas decorations and toys. My aunt took m and, in honesty, my biggest thrill was riding the escalator all the way to the displays on the tenth floor. That says a lot about the kind of child I was.
I hope,you had a pleasant day and the rest of your Christmas season goes well.

Red said...

Looks like you had lots of fun.

Liz Hinds said...

Such a lovely happy family. Here's to 2024!

Margaret said...

Festive outfits and decor and happy faces--what more could you ask for at the holidays?

Jeanie said...

Your Christmas photos show a family of love and fun. And I loved hearing that Christmas memory. How special!