Thursday, December 28, 2023

Ashton

You've seen this church before, sometimes from inside and sometimes from outside. It's where we get our special occasion pies. But I don't think I have shown the Ashton United Church from this angle across the street.


Generally speaking, I try to compose photos reasonably well and without distractions, but distractions can't always be helped. Sometimes, I just need to take the picture for the record.

But often, I want to play with it afterward, and this time, I decided on a somewhat retro mono look as an alternative for this church. I have decided that I don't like although it does look retro, which was the intent.

Does it resemble 1950s b&w at all?

There was also a general store on my right from where I was photographing the church.


Sadly, the store is no longer in operation. A previous tenant, who seemed to love having the general store, was asked to leave for some reason. It has stood empty for a few years since then. I wouldn't always post a photo with a random truck driving through (on the left), but I am trying to be less uptight and sometimes settling for capturing things as they were. lol

Once upon a time I posted a blog from inside the store. Let's see if I can track it down . . . and here it is from almost 8 years ago.

I also decided on a mono conversion for the store.


Then I made a slight modification that you might not even notice at first, but I like it. I think it adds a focal point. Of course you see it  Right?


Now that I have Photoshop back, I am able to do slight manipulations, like that above, that were otherwise difficult if not impossible for me, like the little touch above.

I also took this photo in the corner between the church and the store. It seems like I should be able to get a good shot of these two tractors, but I haven't quite managed it yet. I did deliberately included the fence so I would have a photo for Happy Foto Friday on Flickr.


Those three photo subjects are just about all there is to Ashton, except for an English-style pub and restaurant.

19 comments:

Boud said...

You're going to need to explain the little touch, which escapes me.

MARY G said...

I found it but it took me two tries. Sneaky.
Yes to the fence, even if it did give me an earworm.

Vicki Lane said...

Not seeing it . . .

Jeanie said...

Pity about the general store. I do see the modification! And I love the tractors head on!

Barbara Rogers said...

Can't figure out your change.
Like the colorful photo of the church, because it looks kind of bleached grey compared to higher contrasts in the background, in the B&W.
Hope you'll tell us tomorrow what the change was!

RedPat said...

Love the tractor shot. It feels so nice to see colour at this time of year.

Granny Sue said...

A lot of cool things to photograph in a tiny place, it seems. I think I see the modification but hope you will explain it tomorrow. The tractors are pretty cool.

Margaret said...

I couldn't find the little touch! I do love the tractor one as is and think that the fence adds atmosphere to the photo. (but I'm no photographer, as you know!)

Karen said...

I had to look away, then look back to see the little touch.
I knew people who ran that store about 50 years ago.

Jenn Jilks said...

It was a great store. So sad it is closed.

Liz Hinds said...

I like the red tractors in the mono pic. Look, a proper old fashioned store just like you get them in films!

Liz Hinds said...

I see the little modification by the way! Do you think they look a bit too pale for old-fashioned?

Red said...

I like the vintage tractors. It's too bad that they are stored outside. We had a Massey 44 a one time.

Kipper said...

I love the b&w 1950’s church, perhaps you could replace the car with a classic Thunderbird? 😉

roentare said...

I am so fascinated by the general store. How it looks and how rustic it is

DJan said...

Well, other readers found it, so I'm going to have to see if I can find it too! :-)

Joanne Noragon said...

I did wonder how such an abandoned old store could have such a bright gold sign. It made a nice bit of color in the retro.

William Kendall said...

I like the church.

Kay said...

I love that neat store. But no matter how much I looked, I can't find what you did either. I must be blind.