Saturday, December 30, 2023

Of Frogs and Tin Cups

My ex-BiL essentially lives in the woods. He has a pretty good-sized cleared area around the old farmhouse. But most of this 100 acres are forested.

On the morning of Dec 29, this is what he discovered on one of his woodsy tromps.


So, as crazy as the pansies were yesterday, to see a frog at this time of year, is even crazier.

To top it off, his son and DiL were visiting him yesterday, and this is what they did, believe it or not. In Ontario! At Christmastime! 



But, to switch topics, it's too bad about the cup, actually a mug.


It was in my stocking — my Christmas Stocking and not my everyday sock, I'll have you know — and I looked forward to using it because I sip my coffee slowly in the morning, and it does sometimes cool off. But when I saw that the interior was tin, I was leery. In my head, I think tin affects the taste. It probably doesn't and is probably all in my head. Still . . .

Then, I found that the handle screws the wrong way. I drink with my left hand at the computer in the morning, and I hold whatever mug I am using by the body of the mug and not the handle. Yes, I know that I am weird.

I would be willing to adapt and use the handle if all else were copasetic.

Except . . . except for that flipping tab, Which met my nose and impeded the act of drinking.

I'm sorry, but that is three strikes, and you're out, Mr Mug.

However, thank you, Santa, for trying.


Silly Santa uses the handle.

After all, it is the thought that counts.


20 comments:

Granny Sue said...

Ha! I thought i would beat you with a post this morning, but I see you got yours done while I was still fiddling around with mine.
The video is unbelievable! Truly one strange winter for you. And that poor frog. So confused. We have wasps flying around here.
Oddly, I only like the lidded mugs with steel interiors, cannot stand the plastic ones and ceramic would be foolish for us as we take our mugs everywhere.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Mugs have to have the right fit and it is the same with us for our morning coffee cps, which are actually more like mugs, but ceramic vs. steel or tin, which we also have. Hopefully, Santa can do an exchange. I did have to look carefully to find the frog and wondered where the penguin went 😉Happy New Year to you and Sue.

Anvilcloud said...

@Granny. I cheated and had set it to post at 7. As it happens, I was still in bed. I do this often, but I am usually up for at least one more perusal before it publishes.

Barbara Rogers said...

For the last week or two (while on the road) I carried my wonderful stainless steel mug, pouring the new coffee from the fast food containers into it. It does have one slight defect, that thing that hits your nose when you tip to drink...but I guess I kind of bend to the side to drink. It made it so easy to drive and drink - coffee that is. Those polar bear people think that makes them more healthy. Who's to say...

Jeanie said...

You're right -- the thought that counts. That tab is annoying, though! And the frog -- seriously bizarre!

Karen said...

Deep River: People are skating on a patch of shallow water that has iced up, with kayakers in the background!

Karen said...

I have an old travel mug that is all stainless steel. It's the only one that doesn't impart a taste on my tea. The picture on it is of two small grandchildren (the third wasn't born yet) who are now grown and fled the nest.

Marcia said...

A frog! At this time of year? Next freeze and it will be freeze dried.

Happy New Year!

Debby said...

I too am persnickety about my mugs. I don't like travel mugs. I tend to gulp my coffee not sip it. And it has to be a big one, because I only drink one cup of coffee a day. And the handle needs to be big enough to fit four fingers through because I too hold the cup by the body. I like to feel the heat of the coffee in my hand. It needs to 'feel' right. It needs to have a good weight, no dainty thing for me. When my previous mug got broken, it took quite a while to find one that ticked all the boxes.

No. I am not a fussy person. Why do you ask?

RedPat said...

That poor frog had better be watching the weather reports. What a strange year this is.

Rita said...

Frogs in December! What a year.
I don't know why I don't get notices from your blog anymore. I don't see anywhere I can sign up for blogger reader, either. Well, I had to pop in and say hi.
Sorry the mug didn't work for you. I was leery of metal linings but have been using a Yeti tumbler for a long time now. Keeps my coffee hot to warm for such a long time. It's not sealed tight for travel but, as you know, I seldom go anywhere--lol! Ticked my boxes so that I had to buy more than one. I hope you find the right one for you that is insulated. Keeping that coffee warm--well, once you find the right mug you'll never want to go back. ;)

roentare said...

As long as there is a gift, one shall be merry

Catalyst said...

You people up there are weird! 😁

Red said...

I was wondering how the handle could screw in the wrong way and then I saw that the little drinker thing is in one position!

Joanne Noragon said...


frogs in December as unusual as a dip in winter.

Margaret said...

A frog!! When John and I were in Seattle, there were still flowers blooming, which seems crazy. (it was nearly 60 degrees yesterday) I like my coffee extremely hot so I prefer a travel type mug but not with that flipping thing which would make me flipping irritated!

William Kendall said...

That frog had better dig in for the winter.

MARY G said...

That mug ought to be shot.
Er, sorry.

Jenn Jilks said...

I found a frog in similar circumstances and figured it wasn't meant to reproduce again! Gene pool, and all.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Yeah the make and model and composition and even the color of a coffee mug are tres, tres important! It must be right. xoxo