Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Happy Holidays

We here are most definitely Merry Christmas types, but I like to take a stab at wishing folk the more inclusive Happy Holidays, and I have decided to post that on my annual, homemade card, below. I am posting earlier than usual this year while there is still a chance that most of y'all will see it before going a'wandering or a'wassailing. 

The scene is from the park around the corner, and since I just got Photoshop up and working, I used generative fill to add the other bits and bobs. Generative Fill is what Adobe calls their AI. In this case, for example, I targetted the area on the lower left, and typed white snowman, and what you see is that which the program inserted, As you can see, I also added bridge lights, a sled, and a deer in the same way although I don't know about that deer; it seems a bit odd looking to me.

I thought that all these things added a bit of fun and interest, at least for me, even if they are a bit kitschy. I like to learn and experiment or more likely experiment and learn from my mistakes.

Anyway, it is my card to you as I wish you happiness and joy in this festive season.

Christmas is almost upon us. We've moved everything back a day to accommodate split families. We will do Christmas Eve on the 23rd and celebrate Christmas on the 24th. We will have snacks and things and likely play games on the Eve, and I shall make a Mexican lasagna for our Christmas meal. We'll have an apple pie for dessert that I will pick up at the Ashton Church, which you see and read about several times a year.

There will be a somewhat disappointing difference on Christmas Eve, for Sue and I shall return home after our little family gathering. For all of the years since the grands have come along, except for the COVID interruption, we have slept over at theirs and been present in the morning for the fun to begin. Now, with my rotator cuff nonsense, I can't get comfortable in bed, and so I sleep in my chair. We will drive back there bright and early, however.

I have been sleeping in my recliner for months now, and it is pretty well a necessity. I gave into temptation the other night went to bed, but I only managed a few hours before the pain was irritating me too much. My arm was also sorer than usual the next day. So, I will return home to slumber on our Christmas Eve and will return to Sha's early on what will be our Christmas morning.

Today, however, is the actual beginning of Christmas for us because it is Shauna's birthday. My little girl has been living in tis world for 51 years, How can that be? She was born on the 20th of December 1972 and came home on Christmas Day. What a Christmas present!

However, Sha was not happy about being home, and we were at our wits end until Sue's mother arrived all of the way from Toronto (200 miles) with Christmas dinner. More important than dinner, however, was that grandma knew just how to settle and comfort a distressed Shauna. Thankfully, she was able to teach us before she return home abut a week later. Basically, we had to bounce her (Shauna, not grandma) furiously in the carriage or rock her with exuberant gusto. People couldn’t believe what we had to do to keep this little baby girl content. 

Once upon a time, Sue’s Aunt Elsie came to visit. When Sue was out, Elsie took Shauna for a walk in the pram. Fortunately, she was walking with our neighbour who also had a baby girl. Shauna was unhappy with the way Aunt Elsie was pushing the carriage, so the neighbour, who knew the routine, took over the carriage, bouncing it with considerable enthusiasm. This settled Shauna right down, and Elsie, pushed the neighbour’s normal child sedately, as normal people do for normal babies. I swear that I am not exaggerating. Our routine perplexed and astounded many a person, let me tell you. 

I re-edited this photo of Baby Shauna in her snowsuit. There was no snow on the ground, but that was often the case when we lived in Sarnia. The snow came and went and came and went again. Here in Easter Ontario, it tends to come and stay although the big snow of December 04 did almost vanish before we got a little more on Monday night.

I used generative fill for the background. Why I didn't specify snow, I know not.
I simply asked for trees, and AI gave me very summery ones.
Perhaps I shall retry later when I have the time,
for it is going to be a busy day.


That is our precious and beautiful, Christmas baby, Shauna. She looks sweet, sedate and normal. Doesn’t she? Actually, she was always sweet but just not normal. However, I think she had grown out of the frenzied state by the time of this picture, which I liked well enough to print as an 8x10, just to have around for the party.




28 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Happy Christmas to you & yours. Nice card. I hope that you have pain free Christmas celebrations. Sending lots of birthday wishes for Shauna. So cute in her pink & wrapped with the quilt - a Sue creation? ... Mary-Lou

Boud said...

Merry holidays to you all.

Marie Smith said...

Your granddaughter looks so much like her mother. Adorable!

Our daughter was born on Dec 21 and came home on Christmas Eve.

Your family and ours participated in the Christmas miracle!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Our best wishes back to you and Sue and family for a wonderful Christmas and time spent together. We hope that the coming New Year will be a good one for everyone. Also, birthday wishes to your daughter, Shauna, her arrival as surely the best gift and one that has kept on giving.

Marcia said...

Very neat holiday card. Sounds like the festivities are well planned. Happy birthday to Shauna too!

Ed said...

Our eldest was like Shauna to some extent. She liked to be bounced and moved. We bought a battery operated swing and she spent many nights in that contentedly snoring while she swung back and forth when on vacation. We also did many late night drives in the car to put her to sleep before tucking her in her regular motionless bed.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I have a sister who sleeps exclusively in a recliner and I find myself in one a night a week. Happy birthday to your daughter!

DrumMajor said...

That certainly made for more exhausting parenting than usual too! Hope she's calmed down at 51! (Glad you weren't "reported" or arrested for the exuberant motions to calm her as a baby.) Linda in Kansas

DJan said...

She still looks the same. I love your holiday card very much.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Happiest of Birthdays to your Shauna, who certainly was a darling baby! Who knows why some babies kick up such a fuss, when technically (by our wisdom) they have nothing to be fussy about? Baby Elliot, our Erica's infant, is much the same. He stiffens and cries when anyone besides Erica or Dagny holds him. He cries for me. I'm not sure about Chad the Dad but I expect that Elliot likes to be held by him too. Chad is extremely calm and babies like that. I don't stop trying, though. I will get my hands on him every chance I have, and I just coo and tell him how much I love him until I'm forced to hand him off to someone who can soothe him. As for the generative fill, first, I'm surprised they let you use the word white. I would have thought they'd have come up with a more inclusive word that they'd (whomever they are) would prefer that users use. But since "they" did, OK ... white snowman it is (because what other color can a snowman be, since snow is white?) ... I prefer mostly-reality photography (you know; zhuzhed up a BIT but not TOO much), but your card is completely charming and yes the deer is wonky (I would say its legs are wrong but perhaps the white snow really is that deep) but cute nonetheless. I'm exclusively Merry Christmas too but Happy Holidays is fine since they surely are Holy Days. Your plans sound excellent in every way, including tweaking them to ensure you get the best night's sleep possible under the circumstances. Henry tells me that he leaves his empty bed, where he sometimes still senses my long-gone mother beside him, for his recliner earlier and earlier each night. For him it's hip pain. But he says that he rests well in the recliner, so it's all good I suppose. Merry Christmas to you and Sue and Shauna and all of your other loves. Here's to peace, tranquility, productivity, and all-around success in the new year ... xoxo

MARY G said...

That's a lovely card and I have seen deer looking like that if you get them at just the right angle. And I love the photo of your bouncy Christmas angel, even with green trees.
My card is up on my site and my deer make yours look pretty normal. Merry Christmas to,you all.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful photo of your almost Xmas baby! My oldest grandson was like her and wanted to be bounced all the time. Thankfully, his younger brother isn't like that. It sounds like you have wonderful plans for the holiday and will enjoy the time with family. Too bad about the shoulder though. :(

NGS said...

Our card says Happy Holidays and I only write Christmas on the card if I know the people celebrate. It seems like the most inclusive way of doing things.

Happy Christmas to you and yours!

Granny Sue said...

Merry, merry to you and yours, AC! I hate that about your shoulder, but we must do what we must, and sleep is vital. I enjoyed the Shauna stories!

RedPat said...

Enjoy the birthday celebrations and don't rock the baby around too much. ;-)

roentare said...

Happy Holidays to you too. The snow can be so magical to look at

Cloudia said...

It is impressive how well you are handling having to change your sleeping. I know how difficult that can be! Glad you are having beautiful holidays despite that. Your card is beautiful! Thank you Aloha!

J. S. Vila said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for you, and happiness too, for all your lovely family.

DB Stewart said...

Happy Christmas to all. We are expecting another grandbaby in the next few days, perhaps a similar story to yours. Or maybe a new year's baby...you know how babies are.

All the best during the holidays.

Catalyst said...

Happy Holidays to all of you and a special Happy Birthday to Shauna.

Red said...

Each child is different and most of them learn to control us.

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Blessed Solstice to you and yours! And a happy birthday to Shauna!

Jeanie said...

I'm a big fan of Happy Holidays, having many friends and even extended family who are of other faiths. If I know for sure, I'm happy to "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Lovely Solstice" but I like to play it ecumenical if I don't know!

I love your card. It's fun and so very personal from your own view (and hand!)

Merriest to you both!

Jeanie said...

PS -- and loved hearing more about Shauna -- and hope your ride home in the wee hours (and early ones) is a safe one!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, the old girl is doing well!
I was adopted at 6 months. It wasn't as frantic as at Christmas.
That said, we December babies have to stick together.

Debby said...

...'always sweet, just not normal' HA! My parents said almost the same thing about me. Except for the sweet part.

Kay said...

She was certainly a very beautiful baby. I think that AI thing is so much fun. I did try it once already. I should try again.

William Kendall said...

Time flies, doesn't it?