Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Boxing Day

We were watching the Simm's version of Scrooge after lunch when I had to retire upstairs because I kept nodding off. I am doing that a lot lately. The trouble is that I wake myself up by going upstairs.

After my non-nap, I hustled Sue back to the bridge for more photos. My goal was to get there before it got as pitch dark as on the previous night. A professional photographer once demonstrated in a tutorial that the best night-light photos are usually taken after the lights come on (naturally) but before it becomes completely dark. In all of the following photos, we are able to see some remnant of blue sky whereas the sky was black in yesterdays photos. They were still good enough though in my opinion.

I also wanted to take other lenses to get photos that I couldn't manage with my normal/regular lens.

The two photos below are what I obtained with my wide angle lens on the same side of the bridge as townhall but across the river. I couldn't have managed to take either photo on the previous evening.




Then, we drove over to the trail bridge where I used my telephoto lens to look back at the lights and get these results. Actually, I wasn't zoomed in that much and probably could have shot them with my regular lens.




So that's it for seasonal bridge lights and quite likely for any Christmas lights at all. It is time to move on, but with no snow to speak of,  photo ops may be scarce for awhile.

Back home, we warmed up the Mexican Lasagna leftovers and finished Scrooge, for the umpteenth time: umpteenth being a word I don't seem to hear others using anymore. My mother used it quite a lot. A darn fine word it is too.

After Scrooge, we turned on an old episode of Midsomer Murders, and I am embarrassed to confess that I dozed off again. When I resurfaced, I asked Sue if I had missed a murder, and I had. Now I am up at 4 with only 5 hours of sleep at most. It's nuts, I tell ya.


21 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Impressive photos. I see what you mean about the sky not being completely dark.
To be fair, you'd only have to nod off for five seconds to miss a murder in Midsomer, they happen so frequently!

Anvilcloud said...

@Liz. You speak truth. I think there were only two in that episode. I don’t kow what happened to the standard three. 😎

DJan said...

I do like your dark photos. I'm so glad you are allowing yourself to nod off. :-)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What is left of the natural light does add in interesting element to the photos. Great job!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's always wonderful to see the Christmas colors on the bridge and also that you make the effort to trek out for a photo shoot. We also watched the Simm's version as well as many others that followed on Christmas Eve. I agree with the comment by Liz about the frequency of murders in Midsomer Murders!

RedPat said...

I really like those 1st shots with more light in the sky. Something to remember.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice shots of the bridge. I admire your willingness to venture out at night.

Blondi Blathers said...

I *wish* I could nod off during television that is less than captivating!

Blondi Blathers said...

Midsomer Murders is a staple in our household.
Last week we started re-watching episodes of Endeavour.
Also fans of Heartbeat, kitschy as it sometimes seems.
I also like detective series with female protagonists, but Farmbeau seems less interested in those. Hmmmm ...
-Kate

MARY G said...

My mother relied on the 'umpteenth' as well, to express things like boots in the hall and dishes not cleared. Yes, indeed.
You are quite right to go for the twilight shots; what you got is truly spectacular. But, with me there always is one, I guess, for me the lights pop better with the black sky.
Reflections in puddles and a misty, moisty scene is all that is now available. Inflatable Santas with their noses dripping. Yech.
Bring on the snow and winter.
Wait, what am I saying.

Margaret said...

Spectacular photos--and I see why a little earlier is better. I think I might occasionally use that word; it's hard to spell though! I haven't watched MM for quite a while but I still would like to. I got up this morning with a bout of vertigo which isn't pleasant at all.

Karen said...

I'm really drawn to the building with the lights on it.
Are you folks not socked in with fog?
It is absolutely pea soup up the Valley!
We have postponed our family dinner until Saturday (when the temperature drops significantly and kills the fog) so our folks aren't driving in it.

MARY G said...

Karen, as of Wednesday at 2:30, visibility is very low in Lanark Highlands.

Cloudia said...

I'm embracing the doze off! Thank you for these nice photos. Aloha!

Catalyst said...

I use the term "umpteenth" frequently. I like it. We watched a documentary about the Texas writer and political pundit Mollie Ivins last night. She was one of a kind.

roentare said...

The shots are even better than yesterday's

Joanne Noragon said...

Umpteenth is a good old word in my family. I like your final lights pictures.

Granny Sue said...

I had hoped to get some snow from the Midwest storm but all we got was buckets of rain. Ah well, had that all been snow we would have been buried. Sorry about your sleep problems. I have occasional restless nights and it's the pits. Usually they happen when I have too much on my mind at bedtime.

Jeanie said...

The bridge is fabulous and you captured it well! Your sleep schedule is sounding like Rick's -- no fun at all! Have you seen the new Midsomers? I'm down one, three to go. And a Vera Christmas special to queue up, too! (Better see that one soon!)

Jenn Jilks said...

These really are lovely. I am glad you went and snapped them. I doubt we'll ever be there in the dark!

William Kendall said...

Those are beautiful shots