Saturday, December 09, 2023

The Other Five-Letter Word Game

Everyone knows about Wordle, and many play it daily. We do that and share our results with the family. It's not a competition, but it makes a little link with the others when that might be the only communication of the day.

At our tree party, JJ introduced us to Waffle: https://wafflegame.net/daily.



There are six words to be guessed: three across and three down.
Green letters are correct and in the right spots.

Orange letters are correct, but not in the right spot. For example, the S in the first across is part of the word beginning with R and ending with E, but it is in the wrong place. However, the R at the end of the second word across could also be in the word for the third word down.

All tiles will be used, eventually, but the white letters are completely in the wrong place.

If that doesn't make sense, the rules are on the website, and they will become clear once you play a game or two.

Here I am ↓ after making 5 swaps in the above ↑ puzzle. I have figured out  the word, ENTRY, and moved the Q and I to the right spots.



I have missed a few solutions while getting used to the game, but, often, I can solve it with 3 swaps remaining. I'm not great at puzzles, so you will quite possibly do better after a few tries and depending on how seriously you work at it.

In this game, I have solved the puzzle with 4 swaps examining. My record is 5 swaps, and I have accomplished it a few times. Of course, I almost rant out of swaps on the next game that I played.



If you're a Wordle aficionado, you'll probably also like Waffle.

16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Good morning!

Looks interesting!

DJan said...

I may have to try this one out. Thanks!

Jeanie said...

This looks incredibly hard. I have a feeling if I fall down this waffle-hole I'll never get out!

Barbara Rogers said...

I think I have a mental block when it comes to word games, though I haven't even done the numbers one in years. Perhaps my brain is slowly leaking it's ability to solve any puzzles! You are the Kind of Waffle! What a champ!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Love it already. Going to check it out. xoxo

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Waffle is a new one to me, I think we will have to add it to our daily repertoire!

Cloudia said...

Why Thank you friend. Aloha!

RedPat said...

That is a new one to me.

Catalyst said...

As a confirmed Wordler, I'll have to give Waffle a try.

William Kendall said...

New to me. I'm pretty much content with crosswords.

Granny Sue said...

I have to try that out! I enjoy word puzzles.

Red said...

Waffle it tough. I should try it again.

Margaret said...

My family also uses the word and geography games to keep in touch. John and I have a friendly competition! :) That game looks interesting and like one I would like.

Jenn Jilks said...

We do these, as well!

Jenny the Pirate said...

It's official. Since reading this blog post, I am addicted to Waffle ... Deluxe. You are dong God's work here, AC. xoxo

MARY G said...

neat ... but between two wordles and Scrabble, I spend a lot of time already. i will blame you if the laundry does not get done.