Wednesday, December 06, 2023

The Day after the Storm

The day after the first storm, the snow was still sticking to the trees, which is a bit unusual. Trees were covered beautifully all the way into Ottawa, but, of course, we weren't taking pictures. Once we returned home, we headed around the corner to the little park. It is called Anthony Curro Park, whoever he might be, but we always have trouble with remembering the name, and I usually satisfy myself by calling it Arlo Guthrie Park.

Unusual for me, I remembered my big camera. Not so unusual for me, I forgot to insert a memory card. So, it was back to phone photography. I've been doing too much of that lately. I hereby resolve to do better.

The pond is largely frozen now; in the end, only a small section by the intake to the left will remain unfrozen,



The problem for photography in this park is that there is housing in most directions, but these trees were worth capturing anyway.




These and the next one of Sue were a few of mine. I can guarantee that Sue took many more.



It all looks clean and pristine doesn't it? The great irony is that it is dirty travelling weather. The roads are messy, and it splashes up onto the cars. Our windshield wipers get utilized often, and the cars get ridiculously dirty.

==========================

Of course, and as you can see above, Sue was also taking pictures, but this ↓ one was quite unexpected — to both of us, I think.


She had been taking a wide, sweeping pano by moving her phone from left to right. Suddenly she got around  to me. Quite unexpectedly to both of us but especially to me, as is perhaps evident from the stunned look on my face. That, my friends, is how I look at most times of most days.

20 comments:

Marcia said...

You did get a lot of snow!

Marie Smith said...

Lol. You are not the only one who looks like that most days, AC.

We had the same kind of snowfall. I hate it when winter settles in.

Barbara Rogers said...

Beautiful shots all, including the pano which captured the elf photographer himself!

Boud said...

You really are snowbound. Around here that's still a distant prospect.

Ed said...

I almost need to put on a coat to view your photographs these days. They make me feel downright chilly!

Shalet Jimmy said...

Phone photography is not bad...Such wonderful Pictures....

Granny Sue said...

My goodness that's a lot of snow! Nary a flake here, although West Virginia 's higher elevations will get some today. You certainly live in a picturesque area, AC.

William Kendall said...

The best kind of weather.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ah! The gormless look! I know it well, haha! Beautiful picture of Sue, and truly a glorious snowfall. During my nomadic growing-up years, we lived several times in Chicago. From age eight or so, however, we lived in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and Atlanta, Georgia. When I moved to the Chicagoland area in late summer of 1974 to go to college, as winter approached I was sure that it would snow every day and be a never-ending winter wonderland. Imagine my surprise when it snowed maybe once a week and the rest of the time everything was filthy piled-up snow and gray slush and ice and biting winds! My romantic notions went south quickly, and after getting married in 1979 and spending the next 12 years there after that, we went south ourselves, haha! Your fluffy-snow-laden tree picture truly was worth taking, despite the house. I think the layer of snow on the slanting roofline actually enhances it. Stay warm and cozy! xoxo

gigi-hawaii said...

You look extremely thin in the last pic. Love Sue's hair-do. The trouble with snow pics is that they all are black and white. Where's the blue sky and water? Your red jacket provides some relief.

Vicki Lane said...

That pond! So beautiful!

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh dear. It is pretty, but I still have the hee bee jeebies looking at our yard.
I am happier looking at your river!

Celia said...

Looks chilly. Love the snow laden "evergreens." We had a light sprinkle of snow last weekend and then it disappeared. It's just as well, people here cannot drive in it at all even though most of the streets are flat.

Karen said...

I had to go to Pembroke today. I noticed the Ottawa River seems to have a light coating of ice on it today. It was snowing quite heavily for awhile which accentuated the ice. No doubt it will be gone in the next couple of days when get up on the plus side again. In the meantime, the temperature out here hasn't gone above -10. Brrr

MARY G said...

It would be a fine thing to have a memory card that could be inserted into the brain ... but I would probably lose the card.
Yes, dirty driving for sure. You should see what a gravel road can slurp up onto the rear window and backup camera.
But it is pretty, even with a surprised subject.
Still heavy on the trees today, and no forecast of a melt until the weekend.

Margaret said...

I love others' snow shots because I'm not a bit cold nor do I have to drive in it! Yet...

roentare said...

Paradise in snow.

RedPat said...

It certainly looks beautiful there.

Jeanie said...

That's a lot of snow but it looks lovely and so fun to shoot when it is sticking to the trees and before it falls. Shooting white can be tough. Love seeing your bright red coat in the snow, even with the surprised look.

William Kendall said...

A whole lot of snow.