Friday, December 16, 2022

Valley Contrasts

I found myself in an old photo folder from 2006, looking for a specific photo for a specific reason. Having done what I needed to do, I re-edited a few, or re-edited them for the first time, having passed over them back then. Back then, I was on the cusp of learning more about photography, and the photos were not good quality, but it was a special trip, so one does what can.

This was at a stop on our native-guided jeep tour. We were importuned to purchase a necklace from a young Navajo boy who claimed to be selling it to help raise money for his older brother to go on a field trip.



Although those were the photos that I wanted, I fooled around with the few more, once again, mostly ones that I had overlooked previously. This was from one of our stops, and that is Sue way down near the bottom left. Our tour guide is talking to another tour guide on the lower right. After doing the normal colour version, I also wondered how it would look in mono.



Just two more: (1) a monument seen through a gap, and (2) trees in the desert.



I enjoyed working through some of these old photos and being reminded of this special tour, but by nightfall here, we were in our first major storm of the season. Maybe I will go and take some quick phone pics out the window in the 6AM darkness.

The phone brightened this photo out the back window. That's our poor lilac bush being bowed low in the foreground and the daycare centre in the back. It may not be as busy this Friday with buses cancelled and more adults staying at home. In between lies a normally busy road. It will probably still get its fair share of traffic today, for the show must go on.


From my den looking out front, I can see just beyond the garage that our driveway has been plowed but that the town plows have pushed a snow ridge back in front of our access. It doesn't matter since our contractor is good about coming back and also because we don't need to go anywhere. One bloke (mid left) is already shovelling-out to get to wherever he has to get to.


The plows will remain busy for another day because this storm is going to keep on.

Quite a contrast between Monument Valley and the Ottawa Valley.



17 comments:

Ed said...

As a young boy, I remember those Navajo jewelry stands near the Grand Canyon and so when we recreated the trip during Covid, I was looking forward to stopping at them again. However the Navajo has closed down their reservation, and the east entrance to the National Park, so I wasn't able to complete that part of the trip.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have never visited the Grand Canyon or surrounding areas, so perhaps we need a future cross country trip, again. Thanks for the early morning snow scenes as we are getting rain now, but perhaps will have some snow by the weekend, but not much is forecast for the southern areas of NH, compared to northern parts of the state.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved seeing Monument Valley views (in full color!) and the Navajo shop. I remember seeing American Indians with blankets spread out by the road to the Grand Canyon...selling their jewelery etc. That seemed like a way to go around the mark-up at the store, so I bought a couple of necklaces there...and still have one. Oh and about the snow...it does look pretty, and amazing how at dark you could see so much.

DJan said...

It's fun to visit old favorites, and I also love the Monument Valley in color. Looks like quite the snowstorm going on today!

Marcia said...

Your photos brought back memories of our cross country tip through there in 95.
We have snow coming down fast and furious here south of you.

Boud said...

Some lovely pictures of an area I've never been to.

William Kendall said...

What a difference. A lot of snow this morning.

gigi-hawaii said...

Photos of the arid reservation and your snowy neighborhood. Interesting contrast.

RedPat said...

The monument shots look so nice & warm.
We ended up with mostly rain from the storm after getting all the snow warnings.

Jenn Jilks said...

What an adventure!
And today, as well. I am tired.

Margaret said...

What a contrast indeed--scenery/weather and past and present. I've been revisiting some old photos and memories too lately.

Marie Smith said...

We are getting the snow or rain here tomorrow into Sunday. You always try it out for us!

The Furry Gnome said...

I guess eastern Ontario got hit harder than we did.

Joanne Noragon said...

I won't know about snow until I get up tomorrow. This isn't like Peninsula!

peppylady (Dora) said...

The reddish rocks are quite lovely.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

What beautiful, desolate photos. It's fun to revisit those past travels, isn't it?

Kay said...

Your photos back then were gorgeous too. Yes, we've been to Monument Valley (a long time ago) and your photos are a lot better.