Friday, December 30, 2022

It Took a Nudge from Sue

I finally did it, but it took a nudge – well more than a nudge – from Sue.

For years, coming home from the kids' in the dark, I have noticed the light on this tree on the edge of the park as we drive down a wee bit of a hill. For years,  have I thought that there is a picture there. For years, I have never remembered to return with my camera.

But Sue remembered the scene when she decided that it would fit with one of her daily photo prompts. Off we went, and here it is – the tree by the streetlight.

This was my second photo of the tree, for I first snapped a photo of the whole tree. However, when I zoomed in like this, close enough to eliminate the actual streetlight, I liked the result better.

Although that had been the shot that we had gone for, it was actually the last photo that I took that evening. I had been looking for a place to park, so I had driven right past this subject to the other end of the park to turn around. As we were driving, we noticed, unexpectantly, that other trees and sections were lit by other lights. Of course, we stopped in several places before we got all of the way back to the tree.

Therefore, this was my first photo from the other end of the park. It's my least favourite of the four that I shall post, but it is part of the shoot.


This was my next photo; I quite like it.


But I might like this one better. It was the third and final photo before I got back to the destination tree, which was the first one in this post. I really like the shape, and it does stand out as more of a single tree in the darkness, and, perhaps, that is better than a group photo, like the one above.


In each case, we were shooting from the street with a big snowbank between us and the trees that we had to either shoot over top of or crop in post. At another time, I would like to return and actually access the park from another entrance and then walk around. Meanwhile, the melt is on – temporarily, of course  –and we must await for conditions that cause snow to stick to trees. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, so it could be a long wait.






18 comments:

William Kendall said...

These are quite striking.

Suemn said...

The tree in the last photo looks to be waving at you:) Very nice photos.

gigi-hawaii said...

Boy, those trees look so spooky. Waiting for ghosts to appear.

Jenn Jilks said...

You were quite right to seize the moment! It's all slush there, I bet!
Nice series.

Celia said...

Fabulous, those B&W photos are so striking.

Margaret said...

I like the leaning tree best. As you said, the lone ones are more striking.

Marie Smith said...

Great photo shoot, AC. Seize the moment!

RedPat said...

The lighting is wonderful. It is good that you finally went for some shots.

Kay said...

I love the lighting also. I hope Sue is all better now.

DJan said...

I like the first one best, too. But they are all quite nice. Happy New Year!

Barbara Rogers said...

Good job...but without the street light to show as light source, some of them just look like negative prints...if there is such a thing. Negatives have opposite lighting. Well, I feel pretty backwards, so maybe that's why.

Vicki Lane said...

These are lovely,

Red said...

Funny how we go by something many times and think that would be a good photo.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well my preference, by a long shot, is #1!

DrumMajor said...

All of these pics are cool (literally...) But I like the first one because it looks like a UFO is lighting up the tree! Hope it lands on the snowy ground and not the tree! Linda in Kansas

MARY G said...

I like these. Way to go Sue AND you.
Yes, we will have a good bit of warm and wet before there will be lovely light and stuck snow once more. On the other hand, this is not, repeat NOT, and ice storm. It could have been. Phew.

Debby said...

Oh! Narnia!!!!

Jeanie said...

Tell Sue thank you from me! I'm glad she nudged you -- the results were beautiful (all of them) and truly worth it!