Sunday, December 11, 2022

The Yearly Alphabet

Every now and then, Sue's photo group asks for photos somehow incorporating two letters. Once they got into December, they had done the whole alphabet. It is then that members assemble a collage of their entire alphabet. The neato auto generated collages that we have access to, seemed to stop at a grid of 9 which would hardly suffice.

In Photoshop, I made an 8x8" square, and then marked it up so that I would have 25 squares (more about 25 later). I made 2" squares with 0.25" between them for margins. Then, I inserted Sue's photos into the squares, sometimes reconfiguring them into a square from the original rectangle that Sue had originally posted. 

(I did upload a large version in case anyone needed to click to see it, but I think this work well enough.)

The discerning might ask why I made the grid with 25 squares and not 26.

Basically, it is because I lose my mind from time to time. Other than that, there is no answer. You would think that if I could design and fill a somewhat difficult layout, that I could have made a square for each letter, but you would think wrong. 😕

Since I was, apparently, unable to count to 26, I combined the last 8 letters into 4 squares, and this also left me with enough room for a title and attribution. Actually, Sue had herself done this in her presentation to the group, so it was easy enough.

If we do this next year, I promise to count to 26, but y'know, I have been out of school for a long time, so . . .


19 comments:

William Kendall said...

Still, quite creative!

Boud said...

I just thought it was to do the doubling up we often get at the end of the alphabet! See, I'd never have known if you hadn't said.

Tabor said...

Very nice. Maybe something I should think of doing for the coming year just to keep my mind occupied.

DJan said...

So clever and creative, too! Love it. :-)

roentare said...

Wow that is just fantastic! A good fun exercise to do this

RedPat said...

I thought that you had planned it that way.

Marie Smith said...

This project would be fun to compile!

Marcia said...

Quite impressive!

Debby said...

Fun.

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks good to me!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Well done.
Coffee is on and stay safe

PipeTobacco said...

I have seen folks photograph these environmental letters and the spell out a name or word of interest across 5x7 panels…. they often sell them at Fairs around here. They are pretty neat, I think. I had sometimes thought it would be fun to capture the alphabet like Sue (and you) did.

PipeTobacco

MARY G said...

Laughing. The 'blew the number' thing is something I do as well, usually while trying to solve the Sudoku.
Love the alphabet idea. You have a most creative spouse there.
Templates. Yeah. Even numbers.

Patio Postcards said...

This is a most interesting project to do with Sue/your photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are a hoot. I cannot tell you the times we just look at one another and wonder where our brains are at.

Jenn Jilks said...

P.S. I think this qualifies as a "Don't tell the kids!" events!

Margaret said...

It's wonderful! I love the idea and the creativity to make it work. I always have to ask myself how many letters there are in the alphabet. I would prefer 25. 26 is such a random number.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This looked like a fun project for Sue and her photo group and a bit of a challenge for you. Both of you did well, even if the count was off, but only by one.

Jeanie said...

That's a terrific photo exercise.