Saturday, December 24, 2022

Merry Christmas

While the weather outside is frightful, I will take the opportunity to post my Christmas card. 

In passing, I will also tell you that I have been asking Alexa to play Christmas music, but I specifically request traditional carols, which I find poignant and nostalgic. Unlike so many people, I am not inclined to play background music all of the time, but I like this traditional music at this time of year. Sue is doing much the same with her YT screensavers, but she is also sticking mostly to trad instrumentals. 

We've also half done our traditional viewing of Scrooge (aka A Christmas Carol). Last evening, it was the George C Scott version from the 80s. We have done this every year, or almost every year, or quite a long time. I can say some of the lines before the characters do.


This is my official Christmas card, and by that, I mean the one that I send out to folk who are not so unfortunate as to have to see me online regularly. You may have already seen a few other images that could  have qualified on this blog, but this is the one that I make a point of sending out to people who don't follow me here or on FlickrYou have seen the photo once before, but I have since added the text.


Here are two more that could have almost qualified as cards. This one is nice, but it is from 5 years ago. Sue just added the snowy border.


And I played with this one from the same year.


We shall head to the kids' tonight, consume snacks, possibly play some games, and maybe watch a Christmas movie. Tomorrow, we shall arise (not quite as early anymore) and take our time opening gifts, going round and round the family circle until the last one has been opened. Around noon, the kids' dad will drop by to take them to his place so that they can do it all again with their stepmom and sisters. Shauna will go to work: not so much to work but to be with her seniors. Sue and I shall head home and likely watch the other Scrooge (the Alastair Sim version, 1951).


Have a great Christmas Eve and Day, and we'll see you on the other side (so to speak).

21 comments:

William Kendall said...

Merry Christmas.

Marcia said...

Merry Christmas to you too.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great Christmas card...I like the pose for Sue's card, but oh the kids have changed so much since then! You need to superimpose their present day selves into it. Well, if you felt like it of course. Have a very good time with family, looking at Scrooge, and also listening to classical Chiristmas music. I've got a YouTube loop which even adds a fireplace fire to the TV screen...with instrumental carols. The fireplace never seems to repeat noticeably, but after 2 days listening to the music loop, I knew what was coming on next. Time to turn that off!

Should Fish More said...

Merry christmas to you and your family!

Jenn Jilks said...

Merry Christmas! I like the card.
We are staying put. Caitlin hosts her MIL, BIL, and my estranged son, her brother. We are staying put.

Vicki Lane said...

The cards are all beautiful. I especially like Wonderment. And you Christmas plans sound lovely. Wishing you and yours all the joys of the season!

Margaret said...

Merry Christmas! I love the photos and the adults look the same--then I saw the kids. Wow, lots of changes. Our tradition is to eat and play games but this year with a baby and toddler I'm not sure how that will work. I enjoy the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol."

Tom said...

We have our google helper play modern variations on traditional music. They're nice. IMHO the 1951 Alastair Sim version is the definitive Christmas Carol. Happy holidays!

Ed said...

Merry Christmas!

RedPat said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours. That made a fine Christmas card.

roentare said...

Merry Christmas and wish you a wonderful festive time!

Damselfly said...

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, prosperous, joy-filled 2023!
Stay safe, warm & well.

Red said...

Enjoy your Christmas celebrations.

Marie Smith said...

Enjoy your Christmas, AC. Blessings to you both!

Kay said...

Merry Christmas John and Sue! Those was really really awesome Christmas cards you created. Have a wonderful holiday celebration!

The Furry Gnome said...

Merry Christmas Scrooge!

Joanne Noragon said...

Merry Christmas to you and Sue.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like a lot Dickens stories.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Merry 🎄Christmas to you and Sue and your family, John. And, you certainly have a white Christmas unlike here in RI where we are spending the holiday.

As for being grumpy in your recent comment, there was no offense taken. Everyone makes their own choices and others have their opinions, which is OK. We have been blog friends for too long and differences are ok.

Debby said...

George C Scott is my very favorite scrooge. Merry Christmas. I hope you remember to take a picture or two. LOL

Jeanie said...

I love your Christmas cards -- all of them and all the photos. What a beautiful and merry post! I'm reading backwards and it look like your holidays have been merry, bright and snowy! Onward!