Tuesday, December 27, 2022

The Day After the Day After

I just commented to another blogger that I should probably post something today. I will get back to Louise Penny’s, A World of Curiosities, in due course. It’s odd that I feel a little guilty listening to a book when I wouldn’t feel guilty reading it, but I am enjoying listening. Sue has had an audible account for years, so I use it from time to time rather than making another purchase. I quite enjoy being read to, even if I sometimes feel guilty,.

When I went to bed last night, I saw that the town had plowed the roads and had left a mound in front of the driveway. I wondered if our plow guys would be back because there hadn’t been a new fall for a few days. I was pleased to see that it was gone this morning, for it would have been heavy to shovel.

We were gifted a year of Disney+ and our first choice of programming is odd: a series with Steve Martin and Martin Short and a pretty young thing. It’s a light drama (maybe a dramedy?) called True Crime (I think). There are so many choices, and that seemed like an innocuous starting point. I can’t see Disney replacing Britbox and Acorn in our hearts though..

After the Christmas morning unwrapping, the kids headed off to Dad’s. I think it was by 10 or even earlier. Their step sister was anxiously texting them to hurry up and get over. So our poor two had to go and endure receiving another set of presents. Oh dear! Then Sha took us home a little later, and here we are. I guess there will be reading and watching today and not much else.

It is almost 9, and the cat is getting antsy for breakfast, so off I go.

13 comments:

DJan said...

That series is "Only Murders in the Building," and I enjoyed it very much. I will probably start listening to books more often, since my eyes just don't like spending much time reading. :-)

Ed said...

I really enjoy listening to books in a car on a long road trip. But for some reason I don't do it while at home. Perhaps it is guilt at sitting there doing nothing but listening though that isn't much different than sitting there reading a book that I'm holding which I never feel guilty doing.

If you haven't already watched it and it is still there, you should watch the musical Hamilton while you have Disney+. I subscribed to Disney+ for a month just so I could watch it a couple more times after seeing it once in person. I do suggest doing a cursory Wiki reading of Alexander Hamilton before watching as the rap lyrics and be hard to understand when not familiar with the context.

Jenn Jilks said...

I ordered that book on JB's account, for him to give to me! I just have a library book to finish.
Happy listening.

Tom said...

I used to not like listening to books b/c it went so slow. Then I discovered you can speed up the playback. So I've listen to a couple of books online at 1.3 times normal speed. Much better. I still prefer reading to listening ... but in the end it doesn't matter. A book's a book.

Margaret said...

I have trouble paying attention so I wouldn't be able to listen very effectively. I have that Louise Penny on my Kindle but need to finish our Book Club book first. (the newest Kingsolver) I have lots to read right now!

RedPat said...

I love Louse Penny's books. Enjoy.

Jeanie said...

I've heard that series is great. Giving a year gift streaming subscription is a great idea!

I'm eager to read Penny's next one. A present? That's great!

Marie Smith said...

I am saving Louise’s latest for next week. Love her books.

William Kendall said...

The cat must be obeyed.

I've tried audio books, but vastly prefer reading.

gigi-hawaii said...

Oh, poor young things, having to open so many presents! LOL. We watched "Hamilton" on Disney+. Great musical and historical if you're a history buff.

MARY G said...

An opulent Christmas. Sounds like ours, except that our poor Ed hauled the extended family out here for Christmas afternoon and dinner and ran into a mini blizzard on the Wolfe Grove Road on the way home. We have two choices of routes to Ottawa; through Almonte on two lane roads and through CP on Highway 7. ED make the wrong choice. Luckily her car full of passengers remained quiescent. And after that dinner, no surprise that they did.

Debby said...

I like being read to but I have a tendency to doze off. Much better to read a book in bed. I doze off anyway, but at least I have a better idea where I left off.

Sounds like a good Christmas at your house!

Anvilcloud said...

@Debby. I tend to do this 'reading' outside of bed, and even then, I usually tell the app to sleep at the end of the chapter. That way, I won't get too lost. If I do listen in bed, it is usually a podcast and not an exciting book.