Friday, December 23, 2022

December Passings

Deaths seem especially difficult on us at this time of year, but I feel that I must take a moment to acknowledge that the kids' other grandmother passed away this week. While that is sad enough, it also occurred on Shauna's birthday. Marielle, their French Grandmaman, died in hospice care near Montreal. She was 79.


One thought leads to another, and now I think of other December deaths in the family.

Shauna's grandmother, Sue's mother, passed suddenly on Christmas Day, 1992. Pearl had enjoyed a fine Christmas Day with Sue's sister. She hadn't been sick, was feeling well on that day, cheerily talked to Sue on the phone, lay down in the evening when she felt a bit of an upset coming on, and passed away.

My own grandmother, Charlotte Quinlan (Robinson), died on December 21 1949, when I was two years old. Her father, my great grandfather, Israel Robinson, also passed in December 31 1923 while his father, William Robinson died on December 23 1876.  In scanning my pedigree, I see that I have another great great grandfather, James Rayner, who died on December 29 1822.

That seems awfully bleak, doesn't it? But good things happened too.

Shauna was born on December 20 1972, and came home on Christmas Day.

My grandfather, Arthur Quinlan, was born on Christmas Day, 1880. 

My parent were married on December 12 1936.

Maybe other months are similar for births and deaths, but we just don't notice them like we do for the month that contains Christmas and its poignant times.

14 comments:

Ed said...

Looking back through my immediate family tree, January and February are the more common months for deaths. But I did lose a grandfather and great grandfather (father and son) on December 23rd, 31 years apart. One website I frequent sends me a weekly email with dates for the upcoming week centered around my family tree. I'm glad I don't celebrate/mourn all of them or I wouldn't get much done.

My condolences on your kid's loss.

Barbara Rogers said...

I am so sorry the grands lost their other grandmother. It touches home when it's someone of the same relationship in one's family, I think. You have certainly had lots of losses in December. I have no idea when people in my family all died. Just don't think about it much.

DJan said...

So sorry to hear of the passing of a dear family member. It's always hard, but around the holidays it seems harder to bear.

Marcia said...

December is a big month for dying. Sorry for the grandkids loss.

gigi-hawaii said...

Christ is born. Someone dies. So sorry for the loss of a family member. But, have a beautiful Christmas anyway.

Boud said...

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. It does seem harder in December when a lot of people are celebrating and partying.

RedPat said...

So sad for the kids' loss of their grandmother. We have had several family losses around Christmas too and they always come back to mind at this time of year.

William Kendall said...

I'm very sorry.

Celia said...

Sorry for your loss. We've had some Christmastide losses too. I look around the room at the busy, laughing multitude of kids in our family for a lift. Hugs.

Margaret said...

So sorry! 79 sounds very young to me these days as I approach 70. Deaths seem to occur more in the winter (non-scientific theory) perhaps due to the cold and dark. More strain on the body? I've lost too many people in December or close to it. My grandfather the day after Thanksgiving, my husband on December 4, an aunt and a great-aunt on Xmas Eve. Makes the holidays very poignant.

Red said...

December deaths seem to stand out in our memories. You also pivot and list happy times such as births and marriages.

Joanne Noragon said...

May you have reached the end of family deaths!

MARY G said...

Sad, sorry for your grandkids, as I think it is hardest on the teens when this happens. They are old enough to register the loss, but have little ,to no experience of coping.
Love the thought of Shauna coming home on Christmas Day. Wrapped in red and white, I trust.
Thinking about Sue ... hope she is healing.

Kay said...

I'm so sorry on your loss. It's hard to lose a loved member of the family. However, I can just hear my mom saying how lucky she was to be healthy and just go to sleep and pass away gently. There is a term in Japanese called ping ping korori that mom keeps talking about. It's to be healthy, energetic and happy and then pass away suddenly. I think it's something we all hope for but Pearl went to early which is really sad.