Saturday, December 17, 2022

First Major Snow Storm a Little Later On

A few hours after posting yesterday's blog that ended with night scenes of the snowstorm from the cozy confines of  my abode, I ventured forth.

One mission was to clear the snow from the walkway and in front of the garage. The plow gets the rest, but it doesn't go too close to the garage, and we appreciate that. I was shocked to find our neighbour already out there shovelling our walk. I shouldn't have been surprised, for he has done this before, but not for about 9 months now as he seldom helps us shovel snow in summer.


So, I got down the the important stuff such as taking pictures. This snowfall was wet and sticky, and I wanted to capture some of it while it remained stuck on the branches: (1) up the street, and (2) the tree on our lawn.



I moseyed over to the same neighbours' frontage and snapped two of their many lawn ornaments.



Then I headed to the backyard where I photographed the heavily laden lilac bush.


After shovelling a path to the back gate, I lifted my camera over the 8' fence (the fence beyond the one you see in this photo) to photograph the fir trees across the road.



So, that was our first major or somewhat major snowstorm of the season. It was enough to keep the school buses parked but not enough to shut down businesses.

I like the softness of winter photos and find that I don't have to do much editing even though I shoot in RAW. One thing to keep in mind, if you have the knowledge and ability to do this with your photo device, is to overexpose the scene in winter, for a camera sees that conditions are bright and wants to tone them down, and you don't usually want to do this. One photographer calls it "arguing with your light meter." Even with my iPhone, I have the ability to brighten or darken the exposure: not just in post but before I press the shutter.

I sent some of the photos to Photoshop Express on my tablet, and it helped me make this collage.


For a little extra fun, I added snowmen to this version.


Enjoy the last weekend before Christmas.



18 comments:

William Kendall said...

A proverbial world of white.

Boud said...

You got your white Christmas, then! I'm happy to see it in pictures.

Ed said...

It is looking like a white Christmas might be in our future too this far south with two snow storms on the way followed by really frigid temperatures.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the snow scenes today since we didn’t get a single flake, but a full day of rain on Friday. Your neighborhood certainly is a winter wonderland. And, what a nice neighbor you have next door.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh these are so "winter-wonderland" style photos! Thanks for making this old lady happy, and not snowed in. Our freezing temps will bottom out soon, but not a flake around here.

Vicki Lane said...

How beautiful! We've not had any real snow yet.

Red said...

Snow makes for some awesome photos. It's also better when someone shovels your snow.

RedPat said...

He's a good neighbour. You got so much snow! We got rain & just a bit of slush but nothing is left now.

Margaret said...

What a thoughtful neighbor! Those trees are magical in the snow. Snow IS very bright but I didn't think about how a camera or phone would react to that.

Marie Smith said...

Lots of snow! We are getting more tonight! Yuck!

The Furry Gnome said...

You're living in a white world!

Joanne Noragon said...

I am so happy this is not falling on me.

Debby said...

Your neighbor looks as if he is having the time of his life shoveling your snow! Your pictures capture it quite well. Well enough to make me happy we don't have snow that deep here.

Patio Postcards said...

Like the last two photos - we'll make a scrapbooker of you yet!

Thankfully we didn't get our fair share of the snow - enough for some light shoveling & to give us that Christmas feel.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are lovely. I was so frazzled. The tree limbs on the ground make me so sad.

MARY G said...

Lovely! The evergreens especially. You need to do the same tweaks with bright white sand, as I found out at White Sands National Park in, I think, Utah. Or maybe New Mexico. Sigh. Anyway, bright, watch the meter swing.
I grabbed a lovely sunset last night with my phone.

Jeanie said...

More fabulous snow photos! Those last ones -- Christmas card waiting to happen. We don't have more than a dusting right now but they say more is expected next week. I guess we shouldn't complain -- it's winter. But...!!! At least it's lovely!

Kay said...

Gosh! I've never heard of Photoshop Express. These are cute holiday cards. Wow! You REALLY got a LOT of snow!