Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Pop Goes the AC

We order-in pizza about once a month. That is more frequent than it used to be, but we haven’t gone out as much since COVID (not that we were ever exactly gadabouts). During those early pandemic times, we did try ordering other meals via delivery, but we weren’t enthralled with the fare. Orders would get mixed up or come cold or whatever. Pizza has been reliable for us.

Ours comes with pop. There is no question about this. Ya gotta take your free pop. The app won’t me skip past this requirement  

Last month I chose orange. We still have it in the fridge. This month I chose cream soda. I wonder how long we’ll have that. I could order Pepsi, but I usually have my preferred Coke on hand, so it seems pointless.

Except for the very very occasional ginger ale, Sue doesn’t drink pop. While I do, it’s usually just Diet Coke. It feels good on my poor throat, but other soft drinks don’t seem to have the same effect.

Soft drinks have always appealed to me. I probably used them more when I drank neither coffee nor tea. While the normal world was getting their morning caffeine hit from coffee, I would get it from cola. Currently, I tend to open three cold cans per day because the cola makes my throat feel so good for some reason. I try to limit myself to only a half can at a time — sometimes less, sometimes more, but that’s a fair average.

I know that colas are not exactly a health food drink, but I figure that consuming only 1.5 cans per day isn’t too terrible, and I don't always drink even that much.

The foregoing palaver is all background to the memory that the above red cream soda evoked.

I was five or thereabouts and had tasted cream soda before, but it had come as a clear liquid. One day, I saw that someone had tossed a bottle containing a red solution on the front lawn. I couldn’t read then and didn’t know exactly what it was, but I could see that it was a soft drink. Besides that, red was favourite colour, so I figured that it had to be good. Excitedly, I brought it into Mom who did the taste test before passing the bottle to me.

I have another memory of Mom and soft drinks. We didn’t go with my father to church on Sunday evenings. It was almost an hour bus ride away, so Mom kept me home so that I would be perky for school. I don't know that it ever worked, but she tried her best. 

We’d often go for a walk on those evenings and would sometimes buy a bottle of Kik Cola to bring home as a treat, Kik being a local beverage company that is probably since long extinct.

Those are two early memories of my association with soft drinks. I don’t love them quite so much anymore, but there is still that throat issue that feels a little bit better with an ice cold Diet Coke passing over it.

20 comments:

Judy from Maine said...

I’m just curious, if you drink 1 1/2 cans of soda a day why do you open three? Wouldn’t two do, just put the opened can in the fridge, surely it wouldn’t go flat that fast.

MARY G said...

Not a pop drinker, but those bottles sure look good. Your photo, I am assuming?

Marie Smith said...

I used to drink Diet Coke occasionally. Eventually I noticed headaches associated with it, migraines so bad vomiting was included. I haven’t had any kind of soft drink since 2010. I really don’t miss them. If they soothe your throat that’s great!

Marcia said...

When I was teaching I would drink soda just about every day. The only diet I could stomach was Fresca. Remember that one? I don't buy it any more except occasionally a bottle of root beer. All that sugar is just not good for me.

DJan said...

I have never been a soda drinker. I tried to like regular Coke, but it's been decades since any passed my lips. :-)

Boud said...

Long ago Tab was the drink of young professionals, so I did too. In recent decades it's a soda for festive meals with son, three times a year.

Barbara Rogers said...

I have one son who also is addicted to diet coke, as his source of caffiene anyway. My preference these days is diet root beer, so I don't get a jolt of caffiene in the evenings. But it's a treat, not a daily drink.

Ed said...

I have never been able to stand coffee so it isn't terribly surprising that I drink pop. I probably average two cans of Diet Pepsi a day. From my experimenting, I don't think I am addicted to it nor does it give me a caffeine buzz. I usually give it up for the 40 days of Lent and never have any side effects or feel like I'm missing anything. I'm like you, I just like the feeling of the cold pop on my throat.

Debby said...

I gave up carbonated drinks probably 15 years ago. I do love unsweetened ice tea with double lemon. Our grandson tested positive for covid last week. His mother succumbed to it Sunday. Her s.o. woke up switch a fever yesterday.

Anvilcloud said...

@Judy. Good question, but it does go flat eventually. I tend to have one mid-morning, one mid-afternoon, and one caffeine free in the evening.

Anvilcloud said...

@Mary. Guilty as charged.

Jeanie said...

I drink WAY too much pop and not much else. Mostly caffeine free Diet Coke. Everyone has their favorites. Mine was Tab till they discontinued it!

Margaret said...

I used to drink a lot of soda but the carbonation (like many other things) doesn't like me these days. I agree with you about the ice cold Diet Coke though--very soothing on the throat!

RedPat said...

I have never been a pop drinker. Maybe a ginger ale every few years or if I am sick.

Jenn Jilks said...

I wish we could get delivery! That is the problem about being hermits!
Our local restaurant offered 50% off pick up orders. We figured we'd order early, and heat it later, but that didn't work so well. The bison burger bun was soggy! Live and learn!

William Kendall said...

I actually like Crush.

Red said...

We had Kik in the west. I haven't seen it for years. I rarely drink soft drinks now but at school I had a few too many cokes in a day instead of coffee.

gigi-hawaii said...

I drink Diet Coke, too. I like it more than Diet Pepsi, which is too sweet.

roentare said...

These drinks tend to leave an aftertaste after drinking tons of them. I am only drinking green tea now

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Your mentioning cream soda brought back so many memories. When I was a kid, that was my favorite soft drink. This was when creme soda was clear, not red, and we didn't have soft drinks often. But on a hot day, in Reno, with my allowance itching in my hand, sometimes I would walk to the corner grocery store and buy one, and to my mind, it tasted better than anything. Even now I don't know what the flavor was, and I don't drink soft drinks at all, but "thanks for the memory."