Friday, June 23, 2023

The Neverending Story Continues

I know that the health issue has been going on for a few months, and I fervently hope that the topic may soon be put to rest. But it isn't quite over yet, so please bear with me at least one more time.

As you may recall, I first thought the fever indicated that I had contracted a virus. However, as Wednesday progressed, we came to think that there was a good chance that I had developed a post-surgery infection. Therefore, we deduced that we would call our doctor the next morning (yesterday, Thursday).

The fever did seem to break overnight (Wednesday), but I also soaked my night clothes 5 times, so we/Sue* did call our family doctor. We couldn't wait for Friday, for our MD doesn't hold office hours on Fridays, and then we'd be stuck for the weekend. I got an appointment for 11:30.

*I have always made my own appointments, but, in my pathetic state, I asked Sue to do it yesterday. Likewise, I have attended appointments on my own, but I wanted Sue with me this time.

I reviewed the whole story with the doctor — TURPs, dilations, catheters, sweats — but she soon focused on the fever, for that was the change that most alarmed her. She was wary of sepsis and sent me straight to Emerge for bloodwork and an intravenous antibiotic. I was to go immediately while she would call to tell them her findings.

The hospital is only a block away from her office, which is not much more than a block from our house, so, we were soon there, possibly by 11:30, our supposed appointment time with the doctor, for she is very prompt and often early.

I have recently said, only slightly exaggerating, that I'd sooner spend an afternoon in hell rather than the ER, but it wasn't long before I was ushered into a examining room.

That hideous painting of the dove rising to heaven was still above
the gurney, all these 6 years after it first depressed me.
I also an ECG because my heart was racing a bit.

The ER doctor asked me all sorts of questions. Do you have this symptom, that symptom, and what about this other symptom. No, no and no. As when I recently filled out the pre-surgery questionnaire, it appears that, except for this dadblasted issue, I am quite healthy.

Eventually, many vials of blood were drawn, after which we waited for the results. Meanwhile, the IV apparatus was inserted in readiness.

Nine vials plus the IV hardware. Thoughtfully, I
removed the urine sample from the photo.

Eventually, the results came back. Thankfully, almost every test came back negative, the only exception being an elevation in the white blood cell count. The urinalysis also revealed elevated white blood cells.

The doctor determined that I had an infection but not sepsis. I wouldn't require an IV injection; regular oral antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) would suffice. Scratch my earlier error of equating Emerge with hell, for I was dealt with both expeditiously and competently.

We were leaving the hospital parking lot at 2:30,  only 3 hours after my scheduled appointment with the doctor. It cost $3 to exit parking lot. This was the only charge for the morning. In fact, parking has been my only cost throughout surgeries, cystos/dilations and office visits. Our system isn't perfect, and you may recall that home care didn't work out for me, but in the main, it has worked well.

The only other cost was $4 for the antibiotic prescription. The provincial seniors plan pays for the drug, but we have to co-pay the dispensing cost. It is geared to income, so our cost is $4. Some pay a little more while some pay only $2.

I know that it is too soon for the drug to be doing much yet after only two doses of the total 14 that I must take, but I am extremely pleased to report that I didn't experience a single soaking last night. While I found my chest slightly damp at one point, it was only on my skin and didn't soak through to my shirt. Hallelujah.

25 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

So glad you were seen to so promptly. What a relief to both you & Sue to know that you are on the mend. Our OHIP system may be limping along, but thankfully within the system are many, mostly, caring nurses & doctors. I know with all the medication drops & pills that Mr Man must take for his eye woes, I give thanks each & every time we fill a prescription.

Debby said...

As soon as I read about the fever, sepsis was my very first thought. It killed a relative. I am so glad it was 'only' an infection. I am so glad you are feeling better.

Boud said...

I'm glad you're doing better, and getting good medical care.

DJan said...

Well, out of all the different problems you've dealt with, this one seems to have had the most positive outcome. I'm so glad to know you are in such good hands.

Barbara Rogers said...

That's such a relief to hear. Yes, morning visits to ER are generally a lot better than late nightime! I'm glad to hear your condition wasn't as dire as thought, and is being treated well. (Same drug I'm on incidentally) Your health care system is perhaps flawed, but sounds like it's working pretty well, as well as the costs!

gigi-hawaii said...

Glad it's not sepsis. You have been thru so much hell. I don't know how much more you can take.

Vicki Lane said...

This is good news! And how envious I am of your health care system.

Jeanie said...

So glad the experience wasn't as bad at ER as expected and especially no sepsis but that had to be scary. I'll have to read down and see what I missed before!

I will never catch up with all the posts I've missed over the past week or so. But I'll do my best to keep up!

MARY G said...

Erasure in the upper right hand corner?
Get well fast!
You have really had a rough go of it.

PipeTobacco said...

When I read about the fever, I was concerned, thinking it MAY have been surgery related.

I am glad you have antibiotics now and do not have sepsis!!!!! Is your infection identified as a bladder infection, or some other infection?

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

Great news on all fronts! Hope the fever is soon gone and you're back in fighting form!!

RedPat said...

I'm so glad that it is an infection and not sepsis. My mother got sepsis and ended up in the hospital on IV for over a week. The ER certainly worked for you.

NGS said...

I am so sorry that you have been through such an ordeal with this! It was great that you contacted the doctor and were seen before it DID turn into sepsis! Fingers crossed you feel 100% very soon.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

A scary moment, and so glad it wasn't sepsis!

William Kendall said...

That does help.

DB Stewart said...

Progress!

Marie Smith said...

I hope the antibiotic does the trick, AC. I wish you more sweat free nights.

roentare said...

Glad that you got better. It is a basic routine care to consider post-op infection when you experience nocturnal fever. Hope the infection does not result in a number of microcolonies in the bladder wall which may lead to recurrent UTI

Celia said...

Good news, not sepsis. It's good not to wait. Hoping this does it for you.

Granny Sue said...

Thank goodness it wasn't sepsis. A friend had to go in just today for sepsis after his lithroscopic surgery. Pretty serious stuff. Please keep us up to date, AC. You have a lot of friends out here in blogland worried about you.

DrumMajor said...

SOOOO glad you went to the Canadian version of the urgent care system here. Little white blood cells started the battle and the Cipro should help those little soldiers!
As you may know, sometimes antibiotics can give you gas and diarrhea, but you just HAVE to finish out the meds. We're supposed to have the nice bacteria in our guts, and the antibiotic tends to strip out the nice bacteria. To prevent or minimize the runs, or gassing Sue to the next province, take a PRO biotic capsule as far away from the time that you take the ANTI biotic. Cuz if you take a PRO and an ANTI at the same time, neither one will work. If your CIPRO is twice a day (that's on a 24-hour clock to time your doses for it to work best,) let's say 6 am and 6 pm, take your PRO biotic around Noon or midnight. You don't need to buy ritzy Align; any Brand X equivalent is fine. I take one a day just to keep my innards happy. Drink water, good luck. Linda in Kansas

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As others have commented, it is good that you immediately sought out care and asked Sue to help out. There was a lot of good news despite the repeated testing and hope all continues to go well. Do keep us posted as your blog friends do care.

Marcia said...

Glad to hear you didn't wait and you got quick diagnosis and treatment.

Bindu said...

Glad to know, you are getting better. Parking is the main cost of going to the hospital. It is usually $15 for my half-hour appointment. if I am well enough to be on my own, hubby will drop me off and come back to pick me up after.
Happy that your appointment went well and fast.

Jenn Jilks said...

Hooray for healthcare.
I hope you are on the med!
Thinking about you and your faithful Sue!