Sunday, June 04, 2023

An Anticipatory Experiment

Yesterday, Sue mentioned that she had seen a gorgeous strawberry moon during the night. She tried to take a phone photo, but it didn't work out.

Last evening, Shauna also mentioned that there was a beautiful moon, but she opined that one can't take a good moon photo with a phone.

Being somewhat, but not completely housebound, I have had little interest in photography recently. But I did think it possible to capture some sort of lunar photo that might be moderately acceptable although it would likely also require some post editing.

I could not see the moon from any of our windows, but I took a photo in the dark with just street and house lights just to get an idea if it might work.


It ↑ was taken through a screen sans tripod, which should be almost necessary at very slow shutter speeds, but this is what I had after some editing. Of course, there is noise/grain and softness, but I think it shows that a semi-decent lunar photo might be possible.

It was something to try, and I often rather like low key images such as the one above.

. . .  Meanwhile this morning, I've added two tees to the laundry after another nighttime soaking. Sue has kindly trimmed my hair, and I my beard. Neither hair nor beard were terribly long, but my light, fly-away hair can easily look rather wild and unkempt, and I don't wish to present too startling an image to the nurses after a night in the hospital. That's not until mid-week, but one must begin to make ready.

11 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

I was stymied in my attempt to capture the Strawberry Moon the view of it rising was blocked by a big tree.

Margaret said...

I've seen some fabulous photos of the moon lately and can't possibly compete with them! Hoping that all goes well!!

RedPat said...

I haven't been able to see it from my place either. I have heard that it is super.

Jeanie said...

It was indeed a breathtaking moon. But there will be others!

Sounds like Sue is a good caretaker. I'm grateful for that -- we all are!

William Kendall said...

I tried myself, but was unsatisfied with the result.

Ed said...

I took some pictures of a lunar eclipse some years back with my DSLR on a tripod and really struggled to get the moon in focus. My eye sight and small LCD screen on back, pointed towards the ground, just couldn't get the job done. In frustration, I just manually made minute adjustments and took pictures after each and did have one that wasn't too bad but failed to show the eclipse as a series of perfectly focused ones would have. I decided that should I ever attempt to take a picture of the moon again, I'm going to have to hook a computer monitor up to my camera to focus it.

Marie Smith said...

I hope you get some relief later this week, AC.

roentare said...

The full moon did have a taint of strawberry hue! When photographing the moon, i would do stop down heavily if using autoexposure. Otherwise, a tripod and a long telephoto lens is a must.

DJan said...

I too hope your ordeal will end sooner rather than later. :-)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I forgot about the full moon.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Kay said...

I'm so sorry you're going through all this misery.
Darn! I forgot to look for the strawberry moon. I always have to use my Canon to get a good shot of the moon.