Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Shower Needed

This morning, I am wearing my 4th tee-shirt since last evening when I went to bed. Yes, I soaked through 3 last night, and I might have soaked through another if I had not arisen at 4:30 in some level of resignation and disgust.

It started when I was catheterized, four weeks ago. It’s not that I have never had night sweats before, but they were occasional, and I could often trace them back to some silly late-evening snacking. Not being completely brainless, I no longer do that. But the night sweats are now into their 4th and almost 5th week. 

I looked online for causes here, and I can’t see anything that relates strongly to me. I drink very moderately and infrequently. I am not stressed, and I am not on any new meds. I am a bit overweight, but that is nothing new. One possible cause is prostate cancer, but the lab test from the surgery reveals that I don’t have that. However, my prostate has most definitely been interfered with, so perhaps that is it. I am guessing that it is.

What I can say is that the sweats not heat-related. Nights have been cool and apart from the sweats, I have been comfortable. I mean, soaking-through multiple times a night is not exactly comfy womfy, but when I go to bed and off to sleep, I am not experiencing a heat issue, and, if anything, I wake up cold and not hot when the sweats occur  

So, I don’t think that I will call my family doctor just yet and will trust that the nonsense will sort itself out. If not, I guess that I will make a call next week. I really feel, however, that I have had enough of doctors for now and would prefer to avoid another consultation that will likely lead nowhere. Oh, she’s good and would probably send me for some sort of blood test or other, but I am fairly certain that it would reveal nothing.

This morning, however, I think it would serve me and Sue very well, indeed, to have a cleansing shower.

14 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Wow, you are really having a time! I hope it sorts itself out soon.

DJan said...

Very mysterious symptom. I do hope it fixes itself and you can avoid the doctor. Wishing you some nice dry nights ahead.

Marie Smith said...

It is curious for sure, AC. After my last bout of Covid, hot flashes and night sweats returned again. They had only stopped about two years ago. It had also affected my blood pressure so I was involved with the GP anyway so I mentioned it. She checked my blood work which was ok. The hot flashes and night sweats have since disappeared again and my blood pressure is stabilized again. Have you had Covid?

Marcia said...

Only time I experienced night sweats was during menopause. I know that's not your problem. It can be very comfortable.

Granny Sue said...

How very strange. And I can imagine how uncomfortable, not to mention your interrupted sleep. I get hot flashes sometimes from wine, but that doesn't seem to be your issue. I hope they stop soon, or that you get some answers

Barbara Rogers said...

Not that I know a thing, but have been in your shoes at times...though without prostate stuff. However, I do think hormones are involved. That's what's happening in menopause. I know that's not where you are 'cause two reasons. Your age, and you are male. But I wonder if there a trigger that's got your testosterone going crazy.

Tabor said...

That is tough and the only night sweats I got was when I went through menopause. So such is probably hormone related. If it does not clear up, screw your courage to the sticking place and tale t the doc.

Liz Hinds said...

It is so horrible. I've never reached the stage you're at - my sympathies - but that feeling of heat for no reason is dreadful. Hope your prostate settles down again and it stops soon.

DrumMajor said...

Don't call your urologist. DO call your primary doc. Let them steal some blood. They aren't going to catheterize you! Your symptoms are a classic sign of diabetes, but could be something else. You are much too patient with yourself, by trudging through symptoms too long. A couple of weeks for non-urgent symptoms is the usual amount of tolerance for most of us. 5 weeks is a pretty consistent, continuous trend to have checked out. Blood work isn't as much of a hassle as a catheter! Linda in Kansas

Red said...

These issues are stressful. They are irritating and you or they cannot find a cause or successful treatment.

William Kendall said...

Only hot nights get me like that, but not to that extent.

Margaret said...

Your prostate has definitely been interfered with (a LOT) lately so I would suspect it's related to that. How terribly uncomfortable! I didn't have much issue with night sweats, even during menopause. Lucky, I guess.

DB Stewart said...

Your mindset is becoming my spirit animal.

Jenn Jilks said...

I regularly had sweats, I can empathise!
JB's been having them since he began cancer treatments...