Friday, June 30, 2023

Revisiting Canada Day Fireworks

Tomorrow is the 155th Canada Day although it wasn't always called that. It is the day when fireworks will explode all over the country and delight young and old. With problematic local weather they may not occur here at the usual time — 10pm, July 01. We shall see.

We can see them quite well from our bedroom window where I first attempted to photograph them in 2017, the 150th anniversary of the founding of our country. Although they are lit downtown a little over 1km distant, we can see them looming over the Day Care centre across the road.

The faint outline of the building is at the bottom of the photo.

I remember 2018, especially. I had been hoping to find a different location, but the weather had been iffy. It was both chilly and rainy. But the show did go at the last minute, and I shot from the bedroom once again.


In 2019, we positioned ourselves on the trail (old railway) bridge with town hall in the frame. They are hiding on my computer, but I have them on both Blogger and Flickr.


After a Covidish lull in 2020 and 2021, fireworks resumed last year, and we were back at the same spot on the bridge. I showed a bunch then, of course, so you've, no doubt, seen my faves, but here are two that I didn't get around to posting last year.



I don't know whether they will go at all this year — at last when they are supposed to. I imagine there will be a waiting game, and if they do go off as scheduled, and if I choose to photograph them again, it may very well be from the bedroom. 

========================
Health Update

I had a little scare this week when I passed some blood and a little clot, but it was a one-time event, and, hopefully, just one of those things.

Nightsweats continue unabated, for whatever reason. Other than that, I am feeling pretty good.


22 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Fab fireworks photos. I am sure passing that blood clot was a scary moment or two, but glad to read it was a one off. Cheers to Canada Day & good health in a fabulous country.

Marcia said...

Our neighbors put on the fireworks show from his mom's backyard which we can see very well from our yard. It also will be weather affected if we continue to have rain every day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Our big event isn't till the 4th. I love your fireworks shots, especially the ones with little shadowy buildings below to anchor the blaze, and show how truly big it was! I've heard sweating is our body's way of ridding it of toxins. So stop inbibing whatever may be your favorite poison!

Boud said...

Around here the last thing we need is to add more smoke to the sky. Best look at old pictures!

gigi-hawaii said...

When I take photos of fireworks, the display disappears before I can press the button, so these photos are amazing. You have a quick finger.

RedPat said...

I really like the ones with the tower visible.
Glad you are feeling better. Back to normal soon I hope.

DJan said...

Sorry to hear the nightsweats continue. Hopefully one of these days you will return back to normal. And I do love your first two shots very much.

Jenn Jilks said...

Glad you are still on the upswing.
I loathe fireworks!

Debby said...

The fireworks behind the clock tower is my favorite. I also love that you can watch your fireworks from your bedroom. How convenient is that???

I am glad that the clot is a passing thing. (See what I did there?) The nightsweats though? I hope that you have discussed them with your doctor. It could be important.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

These are beautiful! I really like seeing the clock tower. Well done, and wishing you good health!

Margaret said...

Spectacular especially with the clock tower and the last shot. Those darned night sweats! I thought they'd improved. :( I'm hoping for no extreme stupidity since it's been very dry lately. We don't need any more fires!

Celia said...

Great photos. Sending healing thoughts your way. I'm sort of dreading 4th of July in our town, we are bone dry. Lots of small fires springing up in the brush and fields around us.

Marie Smith said...

You manage great photos of the fireworks, AC.

Take care!

Vicki Lane said...

These are wonderful, AC!

roentare said...

The fireworks are fabulous!

Granny Sue said...

Great photos! If they don't happen this year, you still have great memories. I am sorry about the night sweats. As a sufferer of nightly hot flashes, I understand your frustration.

Joanne Noragon said...

Great photos, as always.

Jeanie said...

We'll be having them here this weekend -- Poor Lizzie will not be happy.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Take care of your self.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful! Ours will be at LeBreton Flats, which isn't that far for me, but I'll stay in.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Our fireworks celebrations will commence next week dependent on weather as rain has been the norm around here. We usually gather with other residents to watch displays from the river bank. But, I actually have better views from our apt windows as you did from your bedroom windows, AC. Your shots with the clock tower were my favorite as the mill clocktower is similar.

Christina said...

Happy Canada Day!