Friday, June 16, 2023

Relief and Smoke

Should I post one more time, but very briefly, about my recent and even current condition? I might as well, for there's nothing else worth mentioning — not that this is really worth mentioning, but you know . . .

We've had one post-removal concern eliminated after I made it through yesterday and the night without a setback. Last time, after a promising start once the initial catheter was removed, I blocked up during the night and had to flee to ER where a another catheter was installed.

But I am sure we are ok on that score this time, and there's nothing else to do but continue to take it easy and wait in the hopes that I won't develop that awful internal scarring again. I don't know what further intervention they can do should it reoccur. I cringe to think.

Meanwhile, I am experiencing a curious but banal sensation. You see, I still sort of feel like I have a bag strapped to my leg. It's where the pant rubs against the spot that the bag occupied for 3 weeks. At least that's how I am explaining it to myself. Of course, now that I don't have to cover that unsightly thing, I can switch to shorts if I so desire.

The only other thing that I will mention is that we are experiencing low air quality today, this time from the fires in Quebec. The way that Eastern Ontario is configured, we have Quebec both to the north and east of us, but the fires are to the north. We are about where I've placed the orange tree near the bottom of the map.

So, we've closed up and put on the AC as a bit of a precaution, for even though it doesn't look that think out, Sue reported that she could smell smoke when she was attending to the bird bath, just a short while ago.



18 comments:

Marcia said...

Didn't realize you were so close to Montreal. We've read that the smoke will descend towards us sometime too.

Kipper said...

Sounds similar to a phantom feeling. Much like you hear about amputees still feel their limbs. Thankfully you still have all yours! Lol
Hope your healing continues and you feel more back to yourself soon. 🤞

RedPat said...

Hopefully they get some rain up there soon.
You were right about the shoreline of the glacial lake. You can really see it all along Davenport Rd.

Karen said...

I'm not smelling smoke (south of Pembroke) today, but sure feel it. Burning eyes and an itchy cough are the clues. It was very hazy when I went to get the shopping this morning.
Glad to hear you are on the up and up. Hope you continue to heal without issues.

Marie Smith said...

Here’s hoping for continued better recovery this time, AC.

We can’t smell the smoke but we can see it on the horizon.

Margaret said...

The ghost of the bag is tormenting you. Like a phantom limb or something. Hope that this procedure lasts a long time (forever!). I hate that smoke; we've and probably will have our go arounds with the d*mn stuff.

DB Stewart said...

Here's hoping for more speed in that speedy recovery.
As for smoke...here in Alberta: smoke almost every single day since about May 1st. Sigh.

Joanne Noragon said...

You get better, please. And help the smoke go up, not down across the lake.

William Kendall said...

I have felt the effect of the smoke today.

Red said...

Some good and some bad. I hope the health continues to improve.

Debby said...

Fingers crossed for you, AC You have had a rough go of things. We had one day last week where the smoke was horrible. You could even smell it, which was amazing to me. The haze cleared up, but I am still taking allergy tablets, so I'm guessing the irritants are still there.

DrumMajor said...

Yep, as Margaret mentioned, you have "phantom bag". Many limb amputees have phantom pain where the limb was. Hope that's the end of your bag adventures. I've had phantom pager before: I worn the pager while on hospital duty, and even after leaving it at work, I'd swear I felt the pager going off in my pocket. Hope the smoke clears soon. Linda in Kansas

Tabor said...

Yes, the air quality can be dangerous even if you do not see smoke. We got it hundreds of miles down here to the south of you! Glad you are on the mend. Getting old is not for the faint of heart or mind.

DJan said...

I'm glad you are on the mend, apparently anyway. And the smoke concern is so widespread, I had no idea you were affected. So far we seem to be okay, but it's not even summer yet!

roentare said...

I suspect you are getting a small calibre catheter in latex form which explains why you get frequent blockages and irrational symptoms from it. You can request for silicon-based catheter for foley catheter size less than 16 (the smaller the number the larger the catheter calibre)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hopefully, there will not be a recurrence for all our sakes, especially yours, AC. Of course, that this is said only in jest because I do hope you will continue to do well. as for the smoke, we had a bit last week, but a rainy weekend now.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I have been away, but I do hope you are feeling better. I will have to go back and catch myself up! I've heard that the Canada smoke is horrible. We've had some here in years past, when they have control burns. My step mother is very asthmatic, and cannot handle it, I just do as you said and turn the ac down and stay in. Have a lovely weekend to go along with your new found freeee dom!!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I thought you where in Manitoba.
Coffee is on, and stay safe