Sunday, December 05, 2021

Perception

I am contemplating what our own senses tell us compared to what others’ senses tell them. Do you really see what I see? Do I hear what you hear? And what about taste and smell?

It was Sue who got me started on this track.

If we are outdoors you will only very infrequently see a picture of Sue sans sunglasses, except perhaps if we’re doing coffee in the car on an overcast day. Or maybe even outside in winter under a very cloudy sky.  I swear that she considers donning them during a full moon at midnight.

But I didn’t know until just yesterday that even as a child she had to sit facing away from the window at dinner hour. And they didn’t have a big window either. I do wonder what it would be like to see as she does, but other than having an inkling, I will never know for sure.

Add it to the growing list of things I don't know, not really about Sue, but I am referring to my lack of knowledge in general.

Is my azure blue sky the same colour as yours? We assume so, but we don’t know. Surely, an artistic person sees differently than the rest of us. We know about colour-blind people, but I expect there are all sort of gradations of colour perception.

Just as surely, a musician must hear differently than I do, especially those gifted (or cursed?) with perfect pitch. Also consider how we hear at different volume levels. In my case, my hearing loss frightens me when my hearing aids are out. And sometimes when they're in too.

Taste is so obvious, isn’t it? While broccoli is anathema to me, Frumpy Prof  Pipe loves it. Jonathan will only eat raw carrots, but I need them so highly roasted that the carroty taste is obliterated. Even then, gravy helps. Sue loves to put cauliflower in a salad; I can only handle it well cooked and smothered in cheese. These are not things that we choose but the way that we are.

Clearly our brains all work differently too, other than just what our senses perceive. My introverted brain, doubtless, perceives and processes differently that your more extroverted brain. While you may be stimulated by social situations, they likely tire me. I can handle them well in moderation, but then I will be happy to withdraw and recharge.

I don’t have any great insight or conclusion to draw from these ruminations (which spellcheck tells me I can’t pluralize) because I am just an old guy sitting in his easy chair, with vague notions fleetingly passing through his wee brain.

16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Just noticing our differences is a big leap in understanding others...being interested enough to find out these things.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's all we have left, isn't it? Ruminations and vague notions!
I have found my eye much more sensitive to cold and bright light since my cataract surgery.
I loathe carrots, cauliflower, and coconut!
JB has colour deficiency: he cannot differentiate blues and browns.

Marie Smith said...

I was surprised to see the difference in colour perception between my first cataract repaired eye and the unfixed eye. The walls in the living room had a yellow cast with the unfixed eye. I wonder what colour the walls would be had I chosen the paint with two repaired eyes?

Boud said...

An artist friend had cataract surgery and noticed with joy the return of vibrant color. And I noticed how very blue her eyes are, now that I can see them without the cloud of cataracts.

Another perception issue: synaesthesia, where the senses are closely linked, so you can taste color, see sound, hear shapes. I have this and it's a wonderful addition to life.

Margaret said...

It's so interesting to contemplate the differences in our taste, smell and sight. We won't even mention politics...

Mage said...

George has eyes like Sues. I miss the blue greens. They are just not there...I didn't know till the 80's.

DJan said...

Fascinating to contemplate how others see the world. I know it was quite a revelation to get cataract surgery and learn how much my color palette had shrunk. :-)

William Kendall said...

My sense of smell is a bit underdeveloped.

Ed said...

People are always fascinated that I can pick out a tree with red leaves in the fall when I am partially red/green colorblind. I just tell them that I learned to associate the burnt brown color I see with the deep red they see and minds are blown.

Tabor said...

My color perception is waning and that is so sad for photography. I often wondered as a child if cinnamon tasted the same to others as it did to me.

Rita said...

So true. We are each so different...even in how our senses work. :)

Kay said...

Well, I think you know that I can no longer smell anything, and that impacts my taste. However, I can still tell you that the skies of Illinois and Hawaii are different. The Hawaiian skies are a lot brighter and has more color.

Red said...

Really good topic today. Yes, we don't know what the other guy senses. what makes us have different perceptions. I guess it's one reason why we like or dislike something. Is there some way of measuring perceptions.

Ratana said...

I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.
Live Score_បាល់ផ្សាយបន្តផ្ទាល់
Live Football_បាល់ផ្សាយបន្តផ្ទាល់

peppylady (Dora) said...

As for color there other factors...type of light one using and other color surrounding it.
Coffee is on and stay safe

MICHAEL JAY said...

I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/WhatsApp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.